Mot

Guest Tom Biddle

Hi Tom

Depends on how and where it was registered,if it is required it will ask for it on the Tax renewal form. if it just says bring insurance then you okay for three years.

HTh

Mitch

Guest turbo

i just had this problem on monday.

the computer at the garage said my car was still mot'd

i then phoned the number on the back of an old mot certificate and he got me to read him the v5 document where it said date of first reg. it said 1989, then below that it said first reg. in uk 2005.

he then said the computers use the date from the uk registration so it should be ok for 3 years but you may want to check with voso.

i tried calling vosa a few times but could not get through.

i then went to the post office and ask if i could get the road tax and he said his computer will only allow road tax if everything is up to date. it then gave me the road tax.

i was uncomfortable with these desisions incase i find myself in bother when making an insuranse claim etc. so i decided for the sake of £40 to get it tested nowing the car was unlikley to need anything else as most of the car is new.

furthermore i had lots of problems getting my car registered,that meant doing alot of reading up on things and if my memory serves me right these are as fallows.

build a kit with 3 or more origonal components and this will get you a age related plate requiring its first mot 1 year after your sva pass date then every year after.

build a kit with all new parts with one major component max reconditioned i.e. (engine) and you will get a new reg. plate and not require a mot till 3 years after sva pass date.

this makes sense to me as things like old shocks brakes seatbelts petrol tanks and any other sierra parts that may have been used may not be fit for 3 years.

so the choise may be yours to make, ;)

Jamie

i just renewed my tax on line after first year after sva it did not ask for a mot so i assume one is not needed.

i seem to rember a conversation with one of the kit car builders in sheffield that they had a letter from DVLA saying that after sva you dont neeed one for three years.

Had to MOT mine one year after SVA. To be honest I was more than happy with that. If nothing else it does at least get your car up on ramps and under the scrutiny of a strict independent inspection. Remember we build these things, then drive than 'enthusiastically'....who knows what can come undone / bend / melt during that time.

It was a nice pat on the back to be told there was nothing wrong with mine (apart from the emissions thanks to my experimenting with the carb mixture - they set this right there and then.