Silencer Edge Trimming

baj25

After a visit from Mike (born in a barn) and Leaner yesterday, I’ve learned (amongst other things) that I need to trim the ends of my RH silencer for SVA. I’ve done a search and learned that plastic trim is not acceptable, and found other ideas for use of slit brake pipe etc but no definitive solution. I’m thinking of having a go at dremmelling some copper pipe, but before I potentially waste my time, has anyone got any tips or advice? P.S. I prefer not to put a heat shield on. TIA, Brian (14 days to SVA, and counting)

Guest mastarforth

My examiner last week told me that anything used must be metal and meet teh ede criteria. I would alos ensure that your bolts securing the exhaust need to be covered as my examiner tried all ways to hit the things with his magicew sphere.

this just goes to show the inconsistentcies in the sva system.

mine passed at chadderton in 2005 with rubber edge trim on the silencer and a cover over the mounting as in the photo

fittinggazshocks018.jpg

and its still there 18 months and over 5000 miles later

Steve

I put a heat shield on spaced out from the RH silencer with 5mm U section ally from RS.

3 lengths of the U section pop riveted to the shield then wrapped around silencer to hold the heat shield away from the silencer. I used plastic edging so the creeping sphere of the SVA man was kept at bay.

Pic may make clearer; SVA 2 years and 8000mls ago. Only the caps off the bolts have gone missing :girl_devil: .

I know you dont want to put the shield on but may be quicker in the end maybe!

i did the same as steve and protected the ss cover and bracket with edge trim.

the only difference is the 2b was svad in nov last year and the lightweight svad in jan this year .

there is no change in policy over the interveining years but as mentioned the inconsistencies of the examiners and the different perceptions of the regs .

if you have already been told that edge trim is not acceptable then the alternative must be a metalic solution .

ie as you mentioned the pipe with a slit in it . must say i tried this and never could make it work .

to argue with the examinier is not the way foreward any mention of but this passed elsewhere will fall on deaf ears. as it is this particular examiner checking your car (fair or not)

my advice for what its worth would be

fit the shield and protect the ends with a metalic solution ,

protect the bracket and securing bolts with edge trim and nut covers ,

stevs photos are an excellent representation of what i would call a solution.

but i am not your sva inspector ,

and he holds the key to your grin.

best of luck hope you sort it out

regards graham

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I had a look through my ‘gallery’ of Hoods that I have photographed at various shows before I asked the question, and found 2 with metal tube trim and lots with titanfast type trim. The fact that titanfast trim obviously does the job, but some examiners don’t seem to accept it is quite frustrating. I just rang Chadderton test centre, and they were non-committal (‘it must be durable and fit for purpose’, which is factual but still leaves me wondering), so I’ll try titanfast. I have started dremelling some copper pipe but it is painstaking work- when everything else on the car is ‘ready’ I’ll try to finish it as a plan B (and because I don’t like giving up). Thanks again, Brian

This subject caused me another of those dream nights where i woke up still pondering from the evening before, have now decided to go with titanfast and nut covers while getting a solution together in case of fail.

Guest rhetorical-oracle

My examiner wouldn't accept the Titanfast, as he said it was plastic and unsuitable for use on the exhaust system. I ended up using some 10mm copper pipe which I hacksawed a slit in and then hammered flat around the edge of the silencer.