Removing The Engine

Guest cjbailey

Guest cjbailey

It is a modified bath hoist (it's not mine). It does the job, I was amazed at how little it flexed in the process!

The arm out the front is mounted on a screw thread which goes up therough the post and is attached to the handle on the top of it!

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Chris,

Congrat's - you've got it out

I agree with Jon - What the heck is that - do I assume there is a vertical thread running up the centre so it's like a giant body jack.

I notice that you've used nautical rope to lash the engine.

Can you explain the tennis net in the background - some form of "debris fencing"

Good Luck with the rebuild

Terry

Ahh

Just seen your reply - a bath hoist - I thought that you were on IoW not Bournemouth.

Well - is it possible to organise a competition to find the oddest way of lifting an engine - I think you've got a head start.

T-

Edited by TerryBarry

a competition to find the oddest way of lifting an engine
:p

I used a trolly from a supermarket....an old dumped one before Mr Asda/Sainsbury sends the heavies round...I cut the top off leaving the 4 castors and bolted the cross-member onto it, gearbox was still attached. Make moving it about the garage easy...

Dave

Guest Mike Perry

Chris

If it really is the same as the engine stand in the pic; you will need to put the engine on the ground in order to steady it. ? why ? to take the clutch and flywheel off. my engine would not fit on the engine stand without these removed.

So go for it. Engine and gearbox out intact and then separate. Saves mucking about underneath the donor trying to balance the gearbox on a jack etc.

Doh. I must read all the posts before I open my big mouth!

Guest cjbailey
Hi Chris,

Congrat's - you've got it out

I agree with Jon - What the heck is that - do I assume there is a vertical thread running up the centre so it's like a giant body jack.

I notice that you've used nautical rope to lash the engine.

Can you explain the tennis net in the background - some form of "debris fencing"

Good Luck with the rebuild

Terry

Ahh

Just seen your reply - a bath hoist - I thought that you were on IoW not Bournemouth.

Well  - is it possible to organise a competition to find the oddest way of lifting an engine - I think you've got a head start.

T-

Yeah, it is just a vertical thread.

It isn't nautical rope, it is "British Telecom Tow rope" (aquired from somewhere :unsure: ).

The net in the background is a cargo net, and is just to seperate up the area, it is taking place in a barn, and dads camper van is in the next bit of it, so it is to try and stop anything from going over there, it is also useful to hang things on!

Chris

If it really is the same as the engine stand in the pic; you will need to put the engine on the ground in order to steady it. ? why ? to take the clutch and flywheel off. my engine would not fit on the engine stand without these removed.

So go for it. Engine and gearbox out intact and then separate. Saves mucking about underneath the donor trying to balance the gearbox on a jack etc.

Doh. I must read all the posts before I open my big mouth

Thats ok, I can get under the car easily now the engine is out, and I can just drop stuff onto the floor! I can get the car a long way up in the air without too much hassle, so it isn't a problem :D !

Guest Andy Rathbone

Chris, just a quick pointer, learn from my mistake change your core plugs they are realy cheep and easy to do when the engine is on a stand that you can wheel around, they are a real sod with the engine in and the one that is obscurred by the fly wheel is impossible with the engine in. i think my set of core plugs where less than £2. but a good half day to change if you start with the engine in!! just my experience

ATB and take it easy

Guest nippykev

I got my engine out without a hoist. I have moved it to the garage in a wheel barrow ( up steps ) and I am going to fit it to the Hood without a hoist.

You dont always need a hoist, though my back doctor may disagree.

Kevin

2b may 2003 collection

PS- Shortening the sump removes all the dents put into it by not using a hoist.

Guest Battery Bill

Me and Joey cut the front off our Sierra then manhandled it out, kin ell it was heavy. I have removed a Rover V8 on my own in the past and I'm sure it was lighter, Mind you I was 20 years younger then.

PS Joey is NOT much help when it comes to heavy things he runs off and lets them drop.