Corner Weights

Guest erichetherington

Guest erichetherington

I want to measure the corner weghts of the hood before going for SVA. My idea is to build a balance bar about ! foot long on the wheel side and % feet long on the other, a simple pivot between then nick my boys weights ( I knew they'd come in useful one day instead of just lifting them up and down ) . Fix the short end to the to the wheel hub add the weights and keep sliding them out until the wheel starts to lift, a bit of simple Physics and viola I know one corner weight; repeat three times.

This seams so simple I'm sure I must have missed something but can't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Can any one see any reason why not?

Guest erichetherington

I thought about bathroom scale but I don't think they go high enough, about 22 stone is the highest weight I could find at a reasonable price. You can get higher but spending that much I might as well buy a corner weight gauge.

May be different your side of the pond ^_^

You can make a fixed ratio pivoting lever fairly easily. Problem is applying the measured force needed to lift the car. Do you remember those cheap torque wrenches we had years ago with a bendy shaft, pointer and scale at the handle end. Either that or a 20lb spring balance like fishermen use to weigh fish arranged to pull down at say a 15:1 ratio would be fairly accurate to 300lb. Variable length lever to get reasonable balance with a set of weights means measuring the lengths of the arm when the car is suspended. Not easy.

Nigel

Guest timswait

There's no problem with the principle, but making the balance bar stiff enough to lift the car will be hard. Also remember the car needs to be level when you measure it, so the other 3 wheels also need to be raised off the ground by the same amount as the one you're measuring the weight of.

Guest salty_monk

I believe the post using the scales used mechanical advantage to take the weight & bring within range of the scales but I can't find the post now!!

Dan

P.s. you prob could get one off the shelf here :lol:

Guest erichetherington

Dave,

Thanks for the offer, just my luck the old firm I worked for was in Bicester (just next door in my book) but the new one is in Gloucester. If i get an excuse to come over that way I'll give you a shout.

Dan,

Just make sure you don't need that size or that Motosycle won't fit :db:

Eric

Guest timswait

Dave, I don't live anywhere near you, but if I'm ever in the area I might try and drop in ;) ! I'd really like to get my suspension a bit better set up :rolleyes: .

Guest Daren.F

I made a gauge using a lever that traps a set of bathroom scales and raises the wheel,

The scales give a reading that is ok to use as a comparison between corners but is not an actual weight.

The only problem with them is that they lift the wheel on the rim and tend to damage the paint on the alloys.

hi scott

re the scales

i think you will find that the majority of the scales sold in the uk are to suit a smaller frame size.

ie we ant as big as you guys !

but looking at the news mayby we soon will be?

regards graham

I measured the weight of my car using four really cheap bathrom scales from Argos. If I remeber correctly, I think they were about £3-£4 each! Calibrated them with my own weight to verify they were good. The key is to halve the corner weight by using levers. I took a bit of 18mm thick ply, attached a bit of 4 by 2 on edge across one end and and bit 2 by 1 across the other end. Make up 4 sets. Jack the front of the car up and under each wheel, put a scale with the 2 by 1 in the middle of the scale and the 4 by 1 on the floor. Lower the car down onto the middle of the ply. Do the same for the back and make sure the whole lot is set up on a level hard surface. Record the weight on each corner and then double it. It will be accurate enough for anyting that we can setup or notice the difference with. The longer the bit of ply, the more chance of getting hitting the middle of the ply and the more accurate the reading. 220lbs scales will then effectivley measure 440lbs. If that isn't enough, put the wheel 2/3 of the way up the ply away from the scales; that'll give upto 660lbs etc.... It's simple physics and cheap scales. Worked for me and doesn't take too long to arrange.

HTH

Andy

Guest ScotMac
hi scott

re the scales

i think you will find that the majority of the scales sold in the uk are to suit a smaller frame size.

ie we ant as big as you guys !

but looking at the news mayby we soon will be?

regards graham

Hey, are you insulting the fitness level of my compatriots?!? I just got a new seat to fit in my l/w. It is 15.5" inches wide. Could be tight squeeze for UKers also, i bet!! ;) In fact, i have been putting on weight, and it might soon be a tight fit for me. I'll have to finish the car soon, or start exercising!! ;)

I just found a bathroom scale that does up to 440lbs, and is only 16$US (~9$UK). I think they ship to the UK, but i couldn't get a price of the shipping. I am sure you guys should be able to find something similar in the UK.

http://www.beegool.com/product_info.php?pr...1385f81c30dbb87

-Scot :D