Rear Springs

steve_wilson

Hi all,

after fitting my rear arches i've found that the rear end seems to be abnormally high. i'm not sure where the springs are from, as i didn't strip the donor. however they aren't standard sierra springs (that i recognise).

The rear spare wheels hoop sits at about 17" off the ground, where on my dads hood it sits at about 13". My car doesn't have any fuel in at the moment though.

I have some standard rear springs that are the same as what my dad has fitted, however dont really want to change these unless i have to.

So, is it worth swopping the springs over for the standard sierra setup or shall i stick with the ones i have and get some fuel and a passenger in and hope that they settle somewhat?

Thanks very much, Andy

post-1420-1183492429_thumb.jpg

I think the upper mount for the coilover needs to be knocked up into the chassis sleeve an inch or so - the rear is definitely too high, although I'm not sure that the situation is being helped by the position of the wheel arch? It appears to be too far back, with the rear edge almost in line with the flat of the back panel... there should be a similar gap between the edge of the tyre on both sides - the whole arch seems to be mounted a couple of inches too far back. This might be an optical illusion based on the photo, but something doesn't seem right....

And I'm not quite happy with the angle between the back panel and the spare wheel hoop? Seems too acute. I once (foolishly) tried to jack the whole rear of the car up by the hoop, and quickly noticed that is was starting to bend upwards - is it possible this has happened to yours?

Arch.jpg

otherarch.jpg

hi enforcer,

i think you might be right about the arch been mounted too far back, i'll take a closer look when light.

i dont think moving it up the chassis sleeve is an option, as i thnik it has already been cut back very far by a previous builder.

As for the rear hoop, i will compare to my dads hood, however i have never jacked it by the hoop, so maybe a previous builder.

I think i will move one of the arches tommorow night and report back with my findings.

Thanks for the reply, Andy

before you go pulling the back arches off try removing the shocks and springs and setting the ride height on your jack.

you may find as the geometry changes the wheels and arches are in the correct places

then you can either sort out the springs and shockers you have or bite the bullet and go for a coilover set up

Steve

Isn`t the spring arrangement in upside down. The spring is suppused to go onto the trailing arm and tube where you have got that eye bolt sould go up into the roll bar then ajust hieght with a bolt through it.

Dave