New Series 3a

Guest roundy

Guest roundy

Just been out doing some investigation work and I think I've found the cause of the creak/knocking noise. It appears to be coming from the passenger side engine mount area. Was stood on the engine bay jumping around and it replicated the noise.....any ideas?

I am pretty sure the transmission is ok as I've had the gear surround off and levered the box around and it does'nt appear to be making any contact.....

Pretty sure the ARB bushes are old and naff as well as that makes a clonking noise also....

Think I am going to be replacing some bits over the weekend! Any pointers on where to source them?

[i think I've found the cause of the creak/knocking noise/quote]

Look carefully around the area of the bulkhead and the floor inside the engine bay for any cracks in the monocoque, they do break sometimes and need rewelding. I think Big Jim may have done a sketch sometime of where to look.

Peter

Have a good look where the sled and the engine bay floor meet, i had a horrible vibration and found it to be the sled and the floor vibrating on each other. cured the problem with some thin soundproofing and a couple of bolts to tie it all together. Otherwise it is only bolted together in the footwell and at the bulkhead end.

Guest roundy

Update!

Dropped tyre pressures to 21psi - much better (think I might go to 19psi though)

Sorted out pants running - crack case breather pipe was spit!

And thanks to Graham and John that popped round on Saturday I now have some more bits to be getting on with that should sort her out even more!!! Cheers guys! ;)

Bring on the better weather!!!!!

Guest roundy

Changed engine mounts last night, lovely now! Had my warm welcome to the kit car world though - new engine mounts are higer so I need to mod the exhaust manifold and master cylinder bracket to stop them fouling!!!

:)

Changed engine mounts last night, lovely now! Had my warm welcome to the kit car world though - new engine mounts are higer so I need to mod the exhaust manifold and master cylinder bracket to stop them fouling!!!

:)

Does the steering column clear the exhaust now?

With the extra height of the engine, lowering the position of the original column, by dropping it all down to a comfortable position.you may be able to go underneath!!

Just a thought.

Hampshire Pageant of Motoring

Big show at Romsey Hants this weekend - fancy a day out this weekend?

26th/27th August

http://www.hpom.co.uk/index.html

Graham