Seat Belt Mountings

sylvia.fry2

:huh: Hi all, help required-- seat belt mounts on 2B+ stainless chassis are at 230mm centres-- strap holes in Cobra 7 type seats are at 113mm-- neither hole lines-up with tube welded thru 50 tube behind seats-- do I need too drill & weld-in new mounts inline with seat holes-- also do mounts need a trap-nut on bottom for "one-hand " fixing?? Thanks all,regards Bob Fry. :unsure:

Guest chris brown
also do mounts need a trap-nut on bottom for "one-hand " fixing?? Thanks all,regards Bob Fry. :unsure:

The top mounts don’t need fixed nuts as they can be easily be got at by one person to undo but the bottom ones into the chassis and tunnel do need to be anchored.

As for the belts not aligning with seat holes I have not herd of a fail at SVA because of this but others who have been through later than me will know better how to overcome the problem if in fact it is a problem.

Ups how did that happen?

Interestingly i found that the bottom nuts were a fail as were the top bolt head and seat belt metal part itself. I had to make a panel over the boot which also covered the seat belt metal parts. This was just some hardboard and leather cloth which came off after the test. Apparently if the boot is not covered and there is a bulkhead between the cockpit and the back then the boot is technically outside the car and therefore everything has to be radiused hence the nuts fail. Even the examiner thought it was stupid but thems are the rules.

Guest chris brown
Interestingly i found that the bottom nuts were a fail as were the top bolt head and seat belt metal part itself. I had to make a panel over the boot which also covered the seat belt metal parts. This was just some hardboard and leather cloth which came off after the test. Apparently if the boot is not covered and there is a bulkhead between the cockpit and the back then the boot is technically outside the car and therefore everything has to be radiused hence the nuts fail. Even the examiner thought it was stupid but thems are the rules.

All what you say is true, if you haven’t got a cover over the boot area then even the diff is a fail because the 100mm ball can reach the sharp edges of the casting (moral, cover the boot area) also as you say the seat belt steel ends and the bolt heads are fail items if not covered but a trip to the local scrap yard soon overcomes the problem just get some plastic seat belt nut covers from a tin tip (various types are available) older cars with fixed rear seat belts are the best ones to look out for.

If the seat belts pass through the seat guide holes then they and the seat become pert of the test for the seat belts and if the tester thinks that they are not upto the job of taking the loads (which most are not) then will fail.

It is common and acceptable to not put the seat belts through the seat for the SVA, that way only the mounting points are within the seat belt test.