Alternator

Hi,

Common problem. The battery light is on with the engine running and the battery isn't charging. The alternator is virtually new, which makes me think the problem lies with how the battery light is wired up. Basically I have a wire (blue) that runs from the alternator to the instrument cluster. However, in the instrument cluster connection plug, there is a blue wire next to the alternator feed that is not connected to anything.

My question is where should this blue wire connect to?

I think the alternator isn't charging because the excitation circuit that I think is achieved via the battery light isn't complete. Am I on the right track?

Many Thanks

Nige

maybe in the right direction

dunno what dash you have so cant help there, but if you put a voltmeter between chassis and the small alt lead, you should have 12 volts without the engine running

I think the alternator isn't charging because the excitation circuit that I think is achieved via the battery light isn't complete. Am I on the right track?

Very probably

One side of the ignition light goes to switched 12V and the other to the wire from the alternator hence when both are at 12V the light goes out. :rolleyes:

Needs this for the alternator to give any output

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. All I have achieved is blowing the 4 amp fuse :( . I am using a standard Sierra instrument cluster, with a Nippon? (like the Denso type one on the NW site) alternator. Because I have no clue what the alternator is actually off. I don't know if I have wired it up correctly (well I know I haven't :rolleyes: wired it up correctly :D )

Although it's a four pin alternator, is it possible it should be wired up like the Rascal one ?

Many Thanks

Nige

Guest chris brown
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. All I have achieved is blowing the 4 amp fuse :( . I am using a standard Sierra instrument cluster, with a Nippon? (like the Denso type one on the NW site) alternator. Because I have no clue what the alternator is actually off. I don't know if I have wired it up correctly (well I know I haven't :rolleyes: wired it up correctly :D )

Although it's a four pin alternator, is it possible it should be wired up like the Rascal one ?

Many Thanks

Nige

As you say the alternator you have has 4 connections are you sure it has a built in regulator? The early Rascal/Suzuki had a separate regulator like the one in the photo.

If you wired it up like the four pin on the NW site then try doing without the ignition live to the 3 pin and check to see if it is charging with just the ignition warning light connected to pin 2. Voltmeter across the battery terminals with the engine running should show about 14v give or take 0.5v if all is well and it won't blow fuses. The photo on the NW site shows my current alternator and connections and it works fine. Used to run the the three pin one with just the ign light wire connected and that was fine also.

Nigel

Guest TerryBarry

That's a Mitsubishi alternator - you can see their trade mark just below and left of the two flat connectors.

We had a '90 Nissan Micra - that was fitted with a Mitsubishi alternator.

Guest chris brown
That's a Mitsubishi alternator - you can see their trade mark just below and left of the two flat connectors.

We had a '90 Nissan Micra - that was fitted with a Mitsubishi alternator.

It may have a Mitsubishi mark on the back but in fact is a Lucas LRA 523 (made in Japan I suspect by Mitsubishi) and was fitted to early Rascal/Suzuki

As for diode/regulator pack. I don’t know if any one will do but suspect it will, the only problem is getting one as my local Auto Electrician tells me he hasn’t seen one for years.

As for diode/regulator pack. I don’t know if any one will do but suspect it will, the only problem is getting one as my local Auto Electrician tells me he hasn’t seen one for years

After looking at a couple of alternatives and the amount of work involved to fit a different alternator, I thought I'd look round for a regulator pack to suit the LRA 523 alternator. I've quickly discovered this is not easy, when you haven't a clue what year vehicle your alternators from and haven't got the part number of the regulator pack you require.

Does anyone know the part number of the regulator?

Cheers

Nige