Suspension Help

Guest drago

Hi everyone, new to this forum. Just after some advice, I've bought a 2b base kit and want to fit aftermarket shocks & springs. Could someone advise me on the open / closed length of Shocks I require and the springs rate (front and rear). Thanks in advance.

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Bob

The "boots" are cheap and nasty universal CV joint boots.

Got a deal 'cause I needed 8 worked out at about 3 1/2 quid each, not bad.

If you go that way just make sure they are really soft rubber ones.

Firm was Linco uk in Licoln but any "high street" motor factor will do similar.

HTHs

Ian J

Cheers Ian, I think I remember someone telling me that a good rule of thumb when picking spring length is to double the difference between the open & closed length. I didn't ask why?

Onto the rears, I take it that the the 2b is nose heavy and would require softer springs on the rear.

Has anyone ever had their 2b on the scales?

You once said you started on 8" and changed to 9". Ian's is a one-of so possibly not the best example for you. But in Ian's case, 13 open 10 closed (after you adjust for the 1" used by bump stop) gives 3" movement. At ride height they would normally sit with the shock two thirds extended, in this case 2" extended, ie 12" eye to eye giving a further 1" available extension (shock 13" at full droop) and 2" available compression (shock 10" at full bounce).

Drago, I assume you have wishbone suspension and wheels fitted on your car, possibly with zeemeride shocks. If so you can fiddle with jacks and blocks to raise the chassis to the desired ride height and then measure the distances on your car between the mounting bolts. As shocks are normally fitted as above you can work out what length you need to buy. I would definitely go for setting the ride height like this and then measuring for what you need.

Nigel

Onto the rears, I take it that the the 2b is nose heavy and would require softer springs on the rear.

Has anyone ever had their 2b on the scales?

The 2b is actually quite well balanced front to rear in weight distribution, the difference arises because there is more leverage on the front springs due to the geometry of the suspension. Mine has 350 front, 300 back, but i have an old style of wishbone conversion, so the geometry may be different to everyone else. I think my front end is a little too stiff.

Guest chris brown

Mine is a standard 2B wishbone (if there is such a thing) and I have 13"open 9" closed and 325lb springs on the front with 18"open 12" closed with 300lb springs on the back I can’t remember the length of the springs on either end.

Guest timswait
I take it that the the 2b is nose heavy

At SVA mine was actually slightly heavier on the rear than the front, from memory I think about 45/55% front/rear split. Looked at from the side the engine is set quite far back from the front axle line and is almost in the middle of the car. Then behind that you have the gearbox, diff, driver, passenger and fuel tank, all of which are quite heavy items.