New Lightweight Owner

Guest DoLittle52

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Richard Hall from GBSC Ltd sent me a Lightweight Kit Content list. I thought that was pretty responsive. Without some sort of numbering on the panels themselves this is still a pile of flat and prefolded pieces. I started watching the video. I liked the guy showing you how to measure and mark with a scribe and the guys piecing the jig together(pond, pound, pound,pound, pound,pound...). Seemed like 5 minutes. The dimensions of the wood jig pieces; ABOUT 2 SECONDS, pause,rewind pause, etc. This is gonna be great.

Guest salty_monk

Richard is a nice guy.....

Coveland had a distribution deal with the old management I believe (from before they went bust) & it was a very new thing..... They prob don't know how to build one themselves & are now just getting rid of old stock I reckon.

Dan :)

hi

to change the subject ever so slightly.

one of my local members had an s7 fail sva today, the inspector said that it was the same prob as the lightweight ,in that

because the main tub and the rear are in two pieces in the event of an accident the centre of the car ie the passanger compartment would fold downwards towards the floor and potentially crush the passangers .

the s7 is a stainless steel monocoque and as we know the lightweight is alloy.

however the construction is very similar regarding attaching the rear end to the main tub .

i mention it only to reinforce the need to strengthen the area arround the diff and seat back and triangulating between the two. chassis rails would also help .

regards graham

ps i agree richard is a nice guy

Guest ScotMac
One other thing Scott: who are the US owners?

Hi Doug, glad to hear you got it. It sounds very similar to the state mine arrived in. The aluminum actually bends back fairly easily. Just use a very smooth flat surface, and pound on it w/ a rubber mallet! ;-)

The US builders that are know of are the ones on here: Chuck (DoLittle52), Joe (patent), you and me.

Sorry we are harping on it over and over, but do the strengthening. If you do it w/ aluminum, as i did, it will add very little weight, and will make for a much nicer final result

Have fun, Scot :D

Hi everyone,

How do you post photos on this site? And what do the push on axles come from? Mine has a leaky boot and I don't know how to fix it myself, I should but I don't.

Joe

Guest ScotMac
Hi everyone,

How do you post photos on this site? And what do the push on axles come from? Mine has a leaky boot and I don't know how to fix it myself, I should but I don't.

Joe

I simply use microsoft "paint" to resize them, and then use the attachments box below the "reply" text box. If you want, send them to me at scotmac@gmail.com, and i'll post them for you.

Yes, the boots can be fixed fairly easily. I did mine myself. The push-in axles can NOT be got in the US. Period. I tried for quite some time. Mine are from the UK. But you don't have an LSD *closed* diff, right? You can use the torx bolt-on based axles on the open diffs, since the open-diff allows you to get to the circlips inside the diff, that hold on the axles.

Editied: Note, the torx bolt on stuff came on the US based Merkurs, and can be got from Napa, etc.

Scot :D

Edited by ScotMac

Guest salty_monk
<_< Must be a much changed guy from the Richard J Hall I bought my kit from last March--never did ever get a straight answer to probs. & am still awaiting a reciept for the kit-- still, building a car is supposed to be a challenge. :aggressive:

The Richard Hall I met at Barkston was a young guy, pretty much fresh out of college with a Zetec powered 2B. Seemed like a nice guy, wonder if we are talking about the same person.....

Maybe a case of overworked rather than being generally un-helpful. No excuse for bad service from a company though, they should do something about it as a company.

Dan :)

• 1 month later...

Hi All: Just an update from Kanab,Utah. Got my registered letter back from Coveland Motor Sports marked as unclaimed. That's about it for support in the US. Too bad now this is an antrastate fraud issue so E Bay and the Department of Commerce can start dealing with this. Will charge ahead!

Doug

Hi Chuck: Registered a complaint with EBay(don't expect much). Contacted the shipping company (they never sent the claim form) so will keep you posted. Expect to be like Scott and take some time with this.

Doug

What goes around comes around

Oh my God. Started to watch videos. 1st froze up and went blank.2nd tape they are fitting brace under arm pit on side body to seat back rest and then tape goes blank 3rd tape starts with the guy talking about part 27B in mid sentance. others just come on with no introduction with the assembler in mid sentance holding a part. Tape 5 was at the end of the tape (someone elses??). Do the menues come on in the middle of the tapes. One of the menues was at the back of tape 5. The last tape,(#6) endswith the guys fitting a rear fender. No finished product, Like we did it ,isn't it grand.Were any one elses videos so botched up.Did I get a set of botched tapes. Also noting more missing parts from Coveland!!

Edited by CDD

cdd

the quality of all rhsc productions is not great , never going to get an oscar.

but they do contain almost enough info to get the car together.

speak to scott or one of the other us guys and see if they can run you off a set of the dvds,the dvds are the same info but more reliable and are indexed. sorry to hear about all your issues with the kit and supplier.

picture below is a finnished lightweight it may help with your focus on the build.

all the best

regards graham