Fire Wire 800 External Drive

gomatthome

Thought just might be worth asking this question.

anyone out there up to speed on external drives and fire wire 800.

my son recently bought himself an external 750GB external drive for storage of graphics films and games etc.

the drive runs off fire wire 800 but can also run at 400 and from a usb 2 but as i understand it the speed of data is slower.

the problem is that his lap top does not have a firewire 800 port so he needs an adapter (the normal size not express). Whilst have found an 800 card but none that work with Vista!!

does anyone out there know where a firewire 800 card compatable with Vista can be located.

Guest allenr03

Matt

Try PC World Business web site, www.pcwb.com, I'm sure we don't have them instore (I'll have a look tomorrow) but you might get one on our business site.

I know LaCie make one but I don't know if its Vista ready. Under normal use 400mb is plenty fast enough. You would only need 800mb if you were regularly moving lots of data.

Rich

Matt

Try PC World Business web site, www.pcwb.com, I'm sure we don't have them instore (I'll have a look tomorrow) but you might get one on our business site.

I know LaCie make one but I don't know if its Vista ready. Under normal use 400mb is plenty fast enough. You would only need 800mb if you were regularly moving lots of data.

Rich

hi Rick it was pc world business who sold the external hard drive and now say they dont do a 800 fire wire lap top card compatable with vista. but if you can find one great

[

phil

Newer Macs have them as standard dump the pc and go MAC.

stephen

the problem is the toshiba is only circa 1 year old and cost over £2k including the programms he runs for uni cant afford to dump the comp better to run at firwire 400 speed

phil

Guest allenr03

You're right, there isn't one listed, try ebuyer, or dabs. Look at Lacie's web site, they do one, its fairly new technology so Vista compatibility shouldn't really be an issue (famous last words!) I'll talk to my guys tomorrow (later!) and let you know if I can get one.

Guest Ad_W2001

Ive not had problems running any hardware in vista, even when it has said that its not 'vista-ready'. Maybe you could get one and try it? return it if it doesnt work or once you've transferred the data you need ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest markc123

USB2 is slower than Firewire 800 - but its still fast... 30 Mb a second is what I usually get, which is comparable with internal hard drives of only 2 years ago. If the laptop has USB2 or Firewire 400 I would see if you Really need the extra performance of the 800 bus...

And the old CARDBUS standards have no chance of maxing out firewire 800. It barley has enough to keep up with FW400 or USB2 - hence the new standard of add in cards.