Sva Application

Guest gavinc

Guest Alan_builder
i went to my local dvla last week , i live in dunstable my local dvla is now in northampton! some 35 miles away.

got the forms for the regestration from the nice lady behind the window after sitting in the queue for 45mins.

returned to my seat and filled in the forms , because i couldnt attract the attention of the same lady i had to take another ticket .

another 35min wait to see another lady.who did not know what to do or say .

asked to see a senior person.

this person arrived and said that i should speak to the vechical examiner, another lovely lady.

she was very helpful and was the one to come and see the car the following fri.

however ,

they have still not issued a chassis no , the car has been checked withought a chassis no.

how is that possible?

i could if i was of a mind to do now enter a car for sva that has been checked but is different to the one checked as no chassis no was present on the vechicle being checked.

when we were under luton the car could not be checked withought a chassis no.

so my little rant over and anotherday tommorow.

they were not interested in photos , i did take an album full of them but they didnt want them, as ian said different areas different rules

regards graham

Hi Graham

Sad about the window system!!!!!!Grrrrr!!!

Just dissagree with your final conclusion, the same rules but implemented by an army of zombies so different intrepretations of the rules.

The wiki idea is a must.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

• 3 weeks later...

the feedback i've had from DVLA today regarding my sva is that it cannot be put through as an amateur build unless i can prove that it was built by an amateur. trouble is if it goes as a professional build the pinto will fail the emissions.

since the builder is now deceased this it is rather tricky to get proof of his status as anything other than deceased. to add to the confusion he was seperated from his wife at the time of his death and it seems she is reluctant to get involved in anything relating to him anymore.

what will happen to those kits that pass through several hands before they finally ge sva'd? does this mean that part built kits become worthless?

Guest robinj66

Paul

You are providing "evidence" when you sign the form declaring that the car is Amateur built. If necessary get round the car loosening lots of nuts/bolts and then re-tighten them ;) taking photos were appropriate.

Do you know that the original builder was building the car as a professional? If not, then how do you think that VOSA can prove that he did (given that he is now dead).

Do you have the original receipt for the chassis (or can you get hold of it)? If so, that can corroborate your contention that the car was amateur built (IE, the car wasn't sold as a rolling chassis etc)

If however you have told VOSA something different in writing then you may have to reconsider your options

the fact that i have declared the build as amateur is not considered evidence in itself for them.

neither is the fact that the MD of the kit car company visited the previous builders house during the build socially and has stated that the builder was an amateur.

short of me getting the poor guys wife to write to them, which seems a little bit much or holding a seance i cant see a way that i can prove any more effectively that the guy was not a in the business of building cars.

it seems to me from this that anyone buying a part built kit, who does not intend to strip it back down and completely re build needs to obtain testimony from the preiovus builder and photos showing the major components being installed by them before even thinking about buying the part built kit.

if the kit passes through several owners prior to sva it seems that letters and photos from each owners showing which components they installed would be required.

i cant quite believe the system is this bad. someone i spoke to yesterday suggested that this is one person being a pain, and that i should consider complaining. will see to day.

Guest robinj66

Slightly OT but possibly still relevant

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cob...-statement.html

Personally I would complain - or at least speak to this person's supervisor/line manager. they are asking you to make a declaration and then without any evidence to the contrary, they are disbelieving you and disregarding your declaration.

Would a sworn affidavit do the job? If so PM me and I'll talk you through it.

You need to get the person who is asking for proof of amateur build status to provide you with a written list of what they would accept as proof. If they won't do so ask them to take you through it verbally while you write it down and then read it back to them. Then write to the boss man of SVA to explain your position and ask if what you have been told is indeed correct.

I think it is impossible to prove the car is amateur built or that it is not unless you submit a video of the whole process with you as the star. After all, a pile of photos of a build, evidence of the donor and a pile of receipts actually prove nothing apart from evidence of a build. It doesn't prove you built it!

This issue seems to have surfaced recently and does sound like a new overzealous employee working at DVLA. Of course if it's new departmental policy then you're stuffed.

Nigel

i had the letter today from vosa asking for copies of the invoices of purchace of major componants.

they are at blo y northampton dvla.rang the nice lady and she is coppying them and sending them to me tommorrow.

re the photos yes they have now requested build photos

you can fax on 01792463581

or email on sva.emails@vosa.guv.uk

this may speed things up.

they are also asking for a second decleration .

not just the main form.

answer 4 relates to a vechicle partially built by an individule for his or her use and purchaced partially complete.

its a pain in the ass as the first forms do not make all these points clear.

regards graham

Guest robinj66

This is the definition of "Amateur Built Vehicle" (from Schedule 2 os Statutory Instrument #25 of 2001. It is not amended by SI 623 of 2004)

Amateur built vehicles

3. - (1) A vehicle is an amateur built vehicle if -

(a) the vehicle was constructed or assembled for the personal use of a relevant individual; and

(B) the construction or assembly or a substantial part of the construction or assembly was carried out by -

(i) the individual referred to in paragraph (a),

(ii) one or more relevant individuals acting on his behalf and under his direction, or

(iii) the individual referred to in paragraph (a) and one or more relevant individuals acting on his behalf and under his direction.

(2) For the purposes of this paragraph, a reference to a relevant individual, in relation to a motor vehicle, is a reference to an individual who did not, at any time during the period when the construction or assembly of the vehicle was being carried out, carry on a business in the course of which motor vehicles are normally constructed or assembled.

Hope that helps you to formulate your argument to VOSA