L/w Rear Shock Mount

Guest JNS

hi scott

is the bit you meen the seat back?

if so i felt it needed to be beefed up to accept the triangulation from the top of the diff box,to stop the car from folding up from the rear.bear in mind i am a plumber and might see forces that arnt there?

however the sva inspector looked long and hard at that area.and ultimatly passed it , i am however one to over engineer a prob if it exists. so i dont have to do it again.

i have started the regestration process on the new one and the build up inspection is tommorrow.

regards graham

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac
hi scott

is the bit you meen the seat back?

if so i felt it needed to be beefed up to accept the triangulation from the top of the diff box,to stop the car from folding up from the rear.bear in mind i am a plumber and might see forces that arnt there?

however the sva inspector looked long and hard at that area.and ultimatly passed it , i am however one to over engineer a prob if it exists. so i dont have to do it again.

i have started the regestration process on the new one and the build up inspection is tommorrow.

regards graham

Oh, i see. I thought it was the side on the back of the body, but it is instead just next to the seat back on the side of the body. That is different. It doesn't require any strengthening for driving forces, but it could be important in a crash.

HI SCOT,

I was thinking about doing what you did for your tie rod ends, i even have the parts. I don't know how the Pa. inspection would look at it though. As far as the rest they all seemed to fit well. I have not set up the front suspension yet so i am not sure about the geo. Time will tell.

I agree with you about Jim, he never returned phone calls untill i called on the cell, i don't think he new that number so he ansered the phone.

Regards

Joe

Guest DoLittle52

Patent, ScotMac, I am the third owner of a LW kit in the USA. I am in Little Rock, AR.

As regards lower balljoints, I need advise, as the lower ball joints did not come with the kit I don't have a clue as to what to use. Advise?

I have Pinto spindles that I can use.

Patent, do you have a price for your LW when it is finished.

Patent, ScotMac, I am the third owner of a LW kit in the USA. I am in Little Rock, AR.

As regards lower balljoints, I need advise, as the lower ball joints did not come with the kit I don't have a clue as to what to use. Advise?

I have Pinto spindles that I can use.

Patent, do you have a price for your LW when it is finished.

HI CHUCK,

I was able to use the lower and upper ball joints that came with the kit. Jim has them for sale on ebay (good luck). I am also using pinto spindles. You were asking about the price. It's going in the 15,000.00 range, that might seem high, but wait till you start ording parts.

I am using a Kent 1600 with twin webers, mild cam and head work, special flywheel, Minilight style wheels,clamschell fenders, glass rear fenders(i think the alum. ones will dent from the inside unless you kote them with something),vdo gauges,electric tach.,electric speeo.,painless wiring harness, different turn signals then the ones supplied,locar hand brake and boots,plus to much that i can't think of offhand.If you din't get any electrics pick up a street rod parts cat.,they have a lot of stuff you need . I am planning on taking the car to Carisle in may. Jim will be there.

Good Luck

Joe

hi joe

a lot of your list i have done already

kent 1600 altered to 1698 with burton head (performance tuned)

however i have fitted honda fireblade carbs on a custom manifold

5 speed box with long first gear

approx bhp 145

not huge but the kent revs well and is tractable.

i did have twin 45s webbers on but the fuel econemy was very poor ie 6 to the gall when pushed and at over a pound per litre thAT ANT cheap motoring

and the carbs kept going out of ballance.requiring resetting.

so the bike carbs seem to be the answer and are very popular over here.

slides so no restriction on the acceleration.

they also appear to be less prone to need ballancing on a weekly bassis.

re the rear fenders (rear wings in english)

yes they do dent from the road side ie stones ect and the fibre glass option could be an answer,

my prob is the car as designd is lovely and looks the right preportions.

regards graham

hi joe

orogonally it had a 2000e g/ box

but now a type 9

i dont know how the trancelation works to the us though

as the english i speak can be interpreted differentlly in different countries.

and different trannies are called different things.

and no i am not a trannie????????

the prob is with the lightweight is that you build the car and include the diff that comes with the donor

so if the diff dosnt do it for you you needs to change the g/boxto suit your requirements.

cos you cant easily change the diff

a richard stuart cock up!in my opinion.

the diff is integrall to the build as it is the first mech part to be fitted to the monocoque

and is posably the most impotant as it will detemne the max speed

Guest ScotMac
we use sierra , what ever thats called in the us of a

We call them Merkur's in the US. The pinto stuff more readily available, but i like the geometry of the sierra stuff. However, w/out the mushroom adapter, which i don't think Jim Coveland gave them, it might be simpler to go w/ the pinto stuff.

I like my raceleda uprights, but that brings up a whole set of different issues:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7235304@N07/5...57600048842494/

Guest ScotMac
hi joe

orogonally it had a 2000e g/ box

but now a type 9

i dont know how the trancelation works to the us though

as the english i speak can be interpreted differentlly in different countries.

and different trannies are called different things.

and no i am not a trannie????????

It's called a type-9 in the US also. In fact, it came on the merkurs here, and a common merkur upgrade is to switch it ot the T5. I went directly to the t5! ;-)

Guest ScotMac

I was able to use the lower and upper ball joints that came with the kit. Jim has them for sale on ebay (good luck). I am also using pinto spindles.

Still don't see how the pinto ball joints fit the bottom of the bones. Also, don't see any under Covelands ID on the web. Do your bones look like the standard l/w ones (ignore the shock mount peice in the middle that Graham added):

http://lees7.co.uk/images/gra_lw/rebuild%2061.jpg

Whereas the pinto lower ball joint looks like this typically:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/eccStoreFron...910-34317_L.jpg

So, did you simply redrill the bones? Or did Coveland give you something other lower ball joint?

Hi Scot,

My ball joints don't look anything like Grahams. My joints have a flange on the bottom with three bolt holes that fit perfectly to my lower a arm and pinto spindle You can call Jim and ask him what he sent me. Just kidding.

REGARDS JOE

Guest DoLittle52

This problem with lower ball joints really aggravates me. Not only did Jim not send ball joints he won't answer the phone ore email. No one seems to know how to identify the ball joints so that I can order them.

Truthfully I am not ready to install them but it would be nice to have the ball joints on hand.