Tick Tick Tick....oh For Gods Sake, Shut Up!

Guest fozzy2007

Guest fozzy2007

Hi all,

I have had no end of problems with my engine (new cam, new cam bearings, skimmed head and so on)and now its ticking. It only does it when its warm (running temp and above) and i have a new cam and followers which were run in properly and have since adjusted those also. the only other explanation i can think of is a broken piston ring. has any body had this and do they know how much it would cost to get sorted (i cant go through stripping down the engine myself again as it would probally take me six months and i want the car on the road lol).

It is definatly a tick. Imagine the sound of a pencil constantly tapping the exhaust hard, and the harder you rev the faster it gets, and thats the sound. Someone said that it wont be the piston rings as it would happen from cold and someone else said it might be the cam but i have checked and checked and for good measure, checked again and again lol.

if need be, i can get a video with sound. Would that help or is a tick usually the same thing.

Thanks for all your help guys and gals.

Rob

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fozzy2007

bottom end is usually a thump or a bang though isnt it. this is a very "ticky" noise. i thought i had heard a sierra bottom end go and this does not sound like it.

Guest fozzy2007

you could be right longboarder. i noticed a small wiff of smoke out of my number 4 cylinder manifold but found the thread in the head has gone so for now have plumber taped it up and tightened it up. no smoke from any of the manifolds now. If it was leaking even on the end (furthest part away from engine) of the maniflod, would it still sound like it was from the engine?

Guest fozzy2007

ok so if i was to get a garage to do the work (i know what your thinking but i want the car up and running and i dont have the time at the moment to strip the thing down again) what would it cost for the below

Small end replaced =

also what would it be for the big end=

or am i just being stupid. are they both the same thing but just different names for each end?

Edited by fozzy2007

Big end and little end are the opposite ends of the con-rod. Most definitely an engine strip to get at them.

I had a ticking on my engine whilst it was still in the Sierra which I could never find until one night I had the bonnet open (to jump-start another car). I saw the flash where the spark was jumping between the two parts of the bottom pulley (damper type). The fan-belts were acting like a Van-De-Graaf generator and building up a charge which would finally arc across the ruber part of the pulley when it was high enough. Never really sorted it but could temporarily cure it by running a soft pencil on the rubber to give the current a path to earth before it got to however-many-thousand volts it took to arc.

Iain

Guest jhfozzy

It might be an undercar time bomb!!!

Only joking,

Sorry I couldn't come up to help this afternoon, was blotto watching the Wales match.

COME ON WALE£S!!!!! TWO IN A ROW!!!!!

I'll pop up sometime in the week to take a look.

Got any tywraps I can borrow? I'm going paintballing tomorrow and need some easycuffs for the "Prisoners" :lol: