Fuel Filler Into Rh Tank....so Confused!

Guest tegwin

Guest tegwin

Not sure if this is the right place...

But..

I have a RH stainless steel tank, the fuel filler is just a round circular hole on top left of the tank.....

Im having so much trouble trying to figure out how on earth to connect a hose to this so that I can actually fill the car...

How have other people done it? (How did RH intend people do it?)

Any photos would be greatly appreciated...

I have 14 days left till SVA and its these small jobs that are going to catch me out big time!

Chears in advance

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually the 'doughnut' rubber seal from the Sierra fuel tank fits in the hole, then some form of filler tube passes through this into the tank - whether that's the Robin hood supplied item, a modified Sierra filler neck, or something of your own creation, is up to you.

It's notoriously difficult to seal though - some kind of 2-part petrol resistant adhesive seems to be the way to go, though even that's not perfect.

If you can still get the tank out, 'Wax-on's idea sounds good to me.

Guest Ian & Carole

You should have kept the sierra rubber seal from the doner.

It fits the hole in the top of your tank and the sierra filler pipe is cut to length and connected to the filler cap with a length of "fuel grade" hose.

HTHs

Ian J

Guest tegwin

I did buy a brand new fuel tank rubber from Ford...but I dont have the filler pipe from the sierra...might have to go hunt one down...

If I go this route and use some form of fuel resistant glue/sealant, is that going to be SVA ok?

Had I thought about it a year ago I would have welded a neck onto the tank...But the tank is now securly fitted to the car and has some fuel in it...

I had thought about bolting a flanged filler onto it but I would have to drain out the fuel to prevent it going bang when I drill...and that would be a fiddle to get the nuts inside the tank to actually clamp the flange down...

Edited by tegwin

...but I dont have the filler pipe from the sierra...might have to go hunt one down...

If you're desperate I have a few Sierra filler necks knocking around some where. PM me your address details and I'll send one on to you...

However, The Sierra neck would need lots of cutting and shutting to make it work, and you'd still probably need some flexible fuel hose to finish the job. So, next question - Did you get the Robin Hood filler neck and the aero style fuel cap that bolts onto the back panel?

Get a new rubber donut from Fords and press it into the hole in your tank.

Get a sierra filler pipe, black plastic with a straight section at the bottom.You will need to cut this and use just the straight section. It presses into the donut, with the help of a bit of vaseline.

I then used a 90 degree bend of filler hose purchased from Merlin motorsports for an arm and a leg.

I attached this with s/s jubilee clips to the top of the sierra filler pipe at one end, and the other to the boss on an aero style filler cap installed in the back panel where rh had cut the hole for this purpose.

All the diameters fit snug, just two s/s clips hold it all together, and no sealant or goo needed,

Been on five years now.

HTH

Guest paulwillie1000@yahoo.co.uk

Duncan

i live in Malvern too, i have a series 3, not sure if it would help for you to look at mine, but your more than welcome, good to know theres another local hoodie about

Cheers

Paul

Guest tegwin

Crazy, didnt realise there were any nutters nearby....

I quite like the idea of getting some scaffolding tube...I can then cut and weld it to give me the angles that i want...

I have a blinging petrol cap, but not the one that RH supply....I also have a length of straight rubber fuel hose, so I literally just need a tiny bit of pipe to press into the tank donut.....

Where can I get small bits of scaffolding or any 2" OD tube from??....I think I might get into trouble if I go to the local building site and chop a bit of the scaffolding off with a hacksaw!

Guest 2b_pablo

personally Id like a bit of flex between the filler and the tank, Im fitting a new tank (smaller) soon and I plan to run a flexible pipe from the filler to the tank. The tank has a 2" pipe sticking a few inches out of the tank so Ill just join it to the filler.

That way if I get rear ended the tank can move a bit without breaking the connection to the filler. if the two are hard coupled then any impact might rip the tank or at least rip the pipe apart and allow petrol to run out.

prob being a little paranoid but sure.

6972_1.JPG