Crossflow

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

When I got the Jago home, having survived two attempts trying to kill me, I had a look at the timing and points and set them right and it ran very nice. However, now I have changed them all for new it wont fire at all. Any clues, like is the firing order really 1-2-4-3 and what is the correct way to set the static timing on on of these?

Sounds like your having fun Tim! yes the firing order really is 1243 and timing should be something like 6-10°. I think there are 2 bumps? as timing marks on the chain cover one is 6 and the other 10° Set the marks in the right place and turn the dizzy with the ignition on until the points just start to break, tighten it there. I seem to remember you will probably get a shock at the same time :o You can also connect a 12v bulb from the earth side of the points and to earth, the light will go out as the points break.

Good luck any pics?

You can also connect a 12v bulb from the earth side of the points and to earth, the light will go out as the points break.
Used to time up like this but I think the easiest place to take the light from is the negative pole of the coil and to earth. Then with the ignition on as you turn the dizzy the light goes off as the points open.

Also if it won't go off, points are not earthing when closed or it won't go on, lectric not getting through the coil.

Nigel

ps haven't put the dizzy cap back on 180 degrees out have you? :blush:

Guest Tim Norman

Not possible to put the dizzy on wrong.

However, if you don't put the leads on starting in the same place as the previous owner then you might have a problem. I went right back to first principles and it turns out that I was 180 degrees out.

Just need a type 9 and some new calipers, propshaft, fair wind and a lottery win and we are sorted :D

tim

nothing wrong with a good crossflow, as long as nearer to 2.0 than 1.0. all the best with the restoration?

i have just joined you ?

regards graham