How Much Does It Weigh?

E.Hunt

Recieved my Amateur Built Declaration today and was a bit puzzled by the first paragraph.

Quote "We have recieved an application for a Minister's Approval Certificate(a Single Vehicle Approval examination)for your vehicle. Please will you confirm the design axle weights and design GVW of the kit car when completing and returning by post the following declaration to confirm the class as the weight quoted on the apllication are rather low. the design weight should include the driver, passenger/s, full tank of petrol and personal luggage?"

I had put down

340kg front

330kg rear

670kg gross

and it is called a Lightweight :D

is my guessing that far out :huh:

p.s.

Personal luggage?. 1/2 dozen helium ballons do

Guest gdc

hi colin

just completed and had accepted a declaration of weights for the lightweight.

500kg front

550kg rear

gv weight 900kg

weights do not relate to actual weight of car they are design weights ie the weight each axle is designed to accept as a maximum.

therefore the gv will be lower than the sum of the 2, cos if not the car would not be safe.

graham

Guest robinj66

Now that's strange - my cobra was SVA'd with weights of 600 + 650 = 1250 (figures from the manufacturers). I was told that the GVW had to equal the design weights of the two axles.

Did RHE / GBS etc ever issue design weights? I would be especially interested in figures relating to an S7

I thought GVW was the sum of the axle weights. They are design figures and not the actual weights. GVW indicate the maximum loaded weight that the vehicle is designed for and cannot be legally exceeded. Important they are set for a full tank, two fat blokes, a tent and a full load of beer. They are also used in brake efficiency calculation.

For what it's worth my series 3 monocoque was 400kg front, 550kg rear, GVW 950kg. At SVA it actually weighed 670kg with me and fuel on board. No problem. Pass.

Nigel

Last year my friendly MOT man asked me the same question so he would know how to assess the brake efficiency test and he said seeing as how they are raced in the 750 series we will go with that weight and all was ok a pass again after i fixed a dodgy mainbeam connection whilst he wrote out the cert he even lent me his crimping tool .

Mike

Just had mine MOT'd again - my regular place has invested in a pair of the new super-duper 'automatic' MOT test ramps ... they actually weigh the car for the purpose of the brake test (as well as shaking the front wheels in an alarming manner!).

My car came back at a lardy 832kg! Good job I've lost over 2.5 stone over the winter .... might get some performance improvement by removing some of the human ballast!

Just had mine MOT'd again - my regular place has invested in a pair of the new super-duper 'automatic' MOT test ramps ... they actually weigh the car for the purpose of the brake test (as well as shaking the front wheels in an alarming manner!).

My car came back at a lardy 832kg! Good job I've lost over 2.5 stone over the winter .... might get some performance improvement by removing some of the human ballast!

Its a good job i am in the process of beefing up my headlamp mounts to try to stop them shaking if the shake test is on the cards ths year .

How long did they shake it for ?

Mike

Guest gdc

my weight on the first sva was 310 front and 300 rear

they wouldnt accept these figures on the first 3 applications .

after a chat with the tech guy he gave me a hyperthetical senario.

from that i assesed my weights for the application.

i hope they are ok ,

the application has been accepted and he did say that the previous weights would have given a fail and thats why he contacted me

richard gave me

500 front and 550 rear

gv of 1050

but that gives no room for any discrepency.

my sva on no 2 is on the 13th so we will see what happens.

i dont know but hope for the best.

graham

nigel rich i have been known to be wrong but not knowingly.

richard gave me

500 front and 550 rear

gv of 1050

Thats what richard told me yesterday, so I've told VOSA those wieghts and sent of my reciepts and photo proof and now wait for my test date :unsure: