Rev Limiter

Guest alan rowe

Guest alan rowe

Hi everyone

Can anybody help in pointing me in the right direction as to where I could get a rev limiter to fit to my Hood

I'm worried that when the red mist descends when out playing one of these days I'm going to over rev and blow the engine

Alan

Guest Mr Pid

If you fancy a real cheap option, try a non genuine rotor arm as these have a limiter built in the counter balance, so that as speed increase the offset breaks the connection with the contacts in the dizzy.

I found this out the hard way in my old cossie which used to eat rotor arms, it dropped the limit by 1500 rpm which was crap when the red mist descended so a quick switch back to the genuine rotor was in order.

Good luck :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Just fitted an Omex Speed System limiter and change light following Pauls flywheel bolt munching experience two weeks ago. From Rally design. Beautiful. Big red light is dead impressive but difficult to see throught the red mist. Scares the s**t out of you at night though! But I've set the limit to 6700 and the soft cut starts at 6500. Realy smooth and you hear it rather than feel it and know that its time to change gear. I would advise get the basic one. The shift light isn't needed. (Another £15 wasted)

Nigel

Guest alan rowe

sounds really good (even with the red light !!!!!!!!) where can I contact Rally design and could you tell me how much the basic one would cost

Alan

ps was it easy to fix (and adjust0

Rally design at www.raldes.co.uk. 56.70 + vat Basic Omex Clubman rev limiter. 75.40 + vat with single big change light.

The basic rev limiter has three wires. Coil pos, coil neg and earth. The box has a bit of double side sticky on it and I've put mine under the dash in the passassenger footwell. The wires reach easily to the coil from there. It must be the simplest job ever!! If you have a change light its on the end of a bit of wire. No connection to make. I've just drilled a hole above the steering column shroud and stuck it in! Didn't even remove the dash trim. Looks perfect.

Adjusts with the ignition on but the engine not running by pressing buttons. If you can count to ten you can do it.

Nigel

Guest alan rowe

Thanks for the info Nigel - I went onto the web site and saw each of the models you refer to

Might sound like a dumb question but looking at the picture of the unit , how do you actually set up a precise rpm and what are the increments plus what does the range start from as my engine is relatively low revving

Alan

ps definitely like the idea of the red light

how do you actually set up a precise rpm

If it conects either side of the coil, I would imagine the electronic gizmo part reads the rate the coil is sparking, or something like that. Same idea as an electronic tachometer.

...says he who knows very little.

On a 4 cylinder engine you can set for a rev limit anywhere from 3000 for aging early beetles to 20,000. (you wish!) There are two buttons on the unit and two LED's. To set revs switch on ignition but don't start the engine. This next bits difficult! Press both buttons at the same time. The two little lights flash to tell you ready and one button is marked + and one - and each time you press either the rev limit changes by increments of 100 and its led flashes in case you're not sure if you've pressed the button properly. Comes set to 6000 and if you lose your place you switch of and switch on the ignition while also holding the minus button down and it resets to 6000. They don't come any easier to fit or set than that!!

Nigel

Guest alan rowe

thanks Nigel -- I'm no electrican but I reackon that sounds easy enough -- one very last question you said about setting it up for 4 cylinder engine -- mines a V8 - is it OK for my engine ?

Alan