Pinto Swap Questions

baj25

Had a busy couple of sessions getting my 1600 pinto out and getting ready to put Stockport Steve's old 2000 in. To the questions... The 1600 that I took out had a new oil pump in, so I tried to take the original oil pump out of the 2000 to replace it. I don't seem to have the correct spline thing, but I've tried torx bits, and jeez it is a devil to get off. Should I keep trying (not sure what to try next though) or is a 20 year old oil pump likely to be OK ?(previous owner says it was fine ;) ). Is a semi-synth oil OK in a pinto? My stock of GTX has run out now. Any other advice gratefully received. If I am rambling, blame Theakstons Old Peculiar! TIA, Brian

Guest chris brown
I don't seem to have the correct spline thing,
You need a multi spline not torx, Sealey or Draper do a handy box with a good selection. Worth changing the pump as you have a new one.

Is a semi-synth oil OK in a pinto?
Yes, the purists among us will tell you to use 20/50 but providing the engine is in good condition then 15/40 or even thinner will do no harm what so ever. Mine has been running on it for years.

Thanks for the replies folks. Bought a spline set this morning and got the old oil pump off in a flash. Dropped the engine back in today and just need to get it all connected back up. Biggest job I've done on the car since SVA and it's good to be back in the garage! I spotted today that I don't have a rubber boot where the clutch lever goes into the bellhousing though- should I bother fitting one? Brian

Mmm. Now you've got me worried. Haynes doesn't refer to a split ring, and I didn't see one on either engine/ oil pump. There was a ring on the hex drive shaft, but I put the shaft back in the way it came out, and as pictured in haynes. The shaft is engaged with the pump, because I span it through the dizzy hole and could feel and hear it. More info required :o Brian

This is an issue that affected the pinto I rebuilt and then subsequently sold the car to Peter (pwlcarz) above. Its NOT the washer type ring on the hex shaft, it sits partly in the block, partly in the oil pump.

When I fitted the new oil pump I missed the split ring as well (no reference in the haynes manual other than you can see it in a picture). It was stuck fast on the old oil pump. I think it should actually stay in the block but clearly doesn't always!

The purpose of the ring is to locate the pump exactly in line with the hex shaft. If you don't have it, the hex shaft will eventually shear, giving you no oil pressure. Not good.

Unfortunately for Peter it went on him a few weeks after buying my old S7, then he replaced just the oil pump and hex shaft and of course it went again a few weeks after that. I think it was only on this third attempt that the split collar was found to be missing and I think Peter was beginning to think I'd sold him a complete lemon.

Hard lesson learnt and one for everyone to remember when replacing / fitting the oil pump.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy. I’m clear what the issue is now. From the lack of other people shouting warnings at me, I guess you were very unlucky with yours. I’ve still got the old pump, and the 1600 block that the new pump came off, so tonight I’ll have a close look for this part. If I don’t find a locating ring stuck to the old pump, and do find one stuck to the old block, then I think that I am in the clear. Let’s hope. Brian

smeg smeg smeg smeg and more smeg. From the pics, and more specifically the fact that I have been able to photograph a locating ring in the old engine and also one in the old oil pump, you can deduce that I don't have a locating ring in my new engine/oil pump. Yes, the engine that i only put in yesterday. The ring is so secure in the old engine that I can't get it out, but somehow the other one just popped out with the oil pump. Unsmeggingbelievable. Oh well, off work tomorrow so out with the damn thing again. Will I need to replace the sump gasket again do you think? And when I thought things couldn't get worse, I've run out of old peculiar! Brian

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

Guest pwlcarz

Whoops! Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news!

As Andy said, better now than no oil pressure and a wrecked engine later.

PS. Mines been absolutely fine since!