Mot Post Sva

agent_zed

Just recieved a tax reminder for the 2b and it says MOT certificate required. I only SVA'd last year and was under the impression that it was 3yrs before an mot was required, even the chap at DVLA told me this. Is there anything i can do?

It would be nice not to have to take it as it would take the sting out of the £200 i spent on SVA and £50 registration.

cheers

Guest SEgan

If you are on an age related plate then they have got this right, you do need an MOT, therefore there is little you can do. The confusion lies in the fact that they often get mixed up at the DVLA and treat newly registered cars as new and newly registered :huh: Some people have been known to keep quiet about this. :nea:

Guest chris brown
Just recieved a tax reminder for the 2b and it says MOT certificate required. I only SVA'd last year and was under the impression that it was 3yrs before an mot was required, even the chap at DVLA told me this. Is there anything i can do?

It would be nice not to have to take it as it would take the sting out of the £200 i spent on SVA and £50 registration.

cheers

Did you get an MOT prior to SVA? If you did then the computer will pick you up as requiring one if you didn’t then you are correct you shouldn’t require one until the 3 year point even with an age related plate.

Go with the MOT! You might have to fork out twenty quid or so, but is it really worth leaving your home built car three years without an expert giving it the once over? I'm on an age-related plate and had my first MOT 12 months after registering.

Guest Ian & Carole
Did you get an MOT prior to SVA? If you did then the computer will pick you up as requiring one if you didn’t then you are correct you shouldn’t require one until the 3 year point even with an age related plate.

I love DVLA and VOSA always guarantee to cause great debate and more so confusion.

I had a pre SVA - MOT got my first tax reminder and found I was exempt for 3 years. :rolleyes:

But like Rich says whats £25.00 to know that your pride and joy is still up for it.

If you think about it,

How old was the doner ?

How many miles has it travelled ?

How well maintained was it ?

Mine was a 1989 done 136000 miles with no history but was as rotten as a carrot!!!!!!!!

Yes bits were re-ferbed but were still 12 years old and had traveled a long way.

£25.00 think about it, ??????????????????????

Tested mine every year and I am an ex Ford mechanic.

Ian J

Hi thanks for the replies. I agree in principle and think that MOTs are necessary but i think in the case of my kitcar that has just passed an SVA test then it doesnt need to be checked the same as a 17yr old seirra. for a start my car has only done >1000 miles since last year and is a brand new chassis and bodywork, so structurally sound. I also check everything on my car regularly which is not done on normal cars very often. The dangerous things on road cars which are checked at mot are almost all new seatbelts, brakes, balljoints and bearings. I dont fully believe the MOT test is that good at picking up faults either. There is no test for worn CV joints and my dads car passed and the next week we did a check and found the brake pads had about 1mm left on them that was crumbling.

but you are all right and it should be done i just wanted to moan a bit ;) although i may re-tax online and see if it still wants an MOT.

thanks again

Guest timswait

This one keeps coming up, who knows whether it needs one or not, the DVLA certainly don't! Some people don't get told they need one for the first 3 years (I didn't), some people do, maybe it's because they had a pre SVA MOT, maybe not, there seems to be little rhyme or reason to it. If it says on your tax renewal that you need one then I'd have it done, it'll be more effort to try to convince the DVLA that they're wrong than it will be to just get it done. I'm sure it was the DVLA that provide Douglas Adams with the inspiration for the Vogons! Even if you do get the DVLA to correct that then they'll probably just cock something else up instead.

Guest salty_monk
Go with the MOT! You might have to fork out twenty quid or so, but is it really worth leaving your home built car three years without an expert giving it the once over? I'm on an age-related plate and had my first MOT 12 months after registering.

Wow... you must get a special police Discount! Last time i had one it was £42 & that was more than 3 years ago, they must have gone up since then!

:lol: :D

I wish! I've been going to the same place in Telford with all three cars for a few years now. This year the MOTs are £25 but as a 'loyal customer' I got mine for £20. All the other garages hate him but the place is always fully booked..

Guest chris brown
Wow... you must get a special police Discount! Last time i had one it was £42 & that was more than 3 years ago, they must have gone up since then!

:lol: :D

Cheapest around here is £50. I can’t see how they are making a profit at £25 when a mechanic earns a garage £50 plus an hour in the workshop (plus the mark up on the parts he fits) yet doing MoT’s only about £38 and he needs an assistant with him

Try the online tax renewal system, I tried it to test if I needed an MOT as the renewal form wasn't clear. You can go through the whole process to test then bail out when it comes to pay. It turned out I didn't need an MOT.

Regards

Jez