Convert Wishbones

Guest carman

:mellow: can anyone tell me why/what makes the in the nose cone shock set up suposedly the best

i know this set up is used in m/sport

is it to do with the shock being compressed from the top not the bottom? :blink:

The only theory I could come up with ,is that maybe that

as the coilovers are inboard,the top wishbone,which pivots in the

middle has greater leverage acting on the top of the spring,which perhaps makes

its sensitivity and speed to react much greater to road surface undulations,

therfore giving a smoother ride,rather than an outboard coilover which is bolted

directly to the bottom wishbone.

This could also be a total load of BxxxxxxT,but what ever.....

I'm sat at work bored,and its Monday morning,,,I hate Mondays!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Ian

:gdit: :gdit: :gdit:

Before the Mark 3 (&3A) with the inboard shocks, you had the Cortina reversed, the Exmo, and the Dolomite front suspensions (& possibly more) all off which were adaptations of the Donor cars equipment, which as you read the boards, are not ideal and have all come in for major alterations, if not complete removal to make the car handle better. When the mark 3 came along, the only parts that came from the donor car, were the track control arms and the anti-roll bar. This made it more 'Hoodie friendly' as alterations to improve the handling were much easier, because like all Robin Hoods, there is still plenty of room for improvement.

IMHO the 2B with either the Jigtec design or the RH wishbones (with decent shockers!) is even better.

Hi Rizla,

I think you may have two ideas running here.

1 Shocks used in the 'regular' outboard fashion but turned upside-down (i.e with the spring at the top) reduce the unsprung mass.

2 Using inboard shocks takes the shocks right out of the unsprung mass equation, it won't make any difference which way up they are, because they are then part of the sprung mass.

Reducing the unsprung mass gives a better response from the suspension. So both ideas are going in the right direction. Another benefit of inboard set up is reduction in drag, also the shockers pick up less sh**e so last longer.

HTH

Greg