Cycle Wing Brackets And Macpherson Struts

Andy Cook

Hi all,

Thought I’d finished my front suspension but after looking at the dummy Macpherson struts and cycle wing brackets I have begun to wonder if something is amiss.

I fitted them as per the videos so that when the car is on the floor the top ball joint pins are at right angles to the top wishbone. This however means that the cycle wing brackets have to go under the top wishbone. This is a problem as it fouls the flexi hose to the caliper.

On all other super-specs I’ve seen the bracket is on the outside of the wishbone towards the wheel.

Is it possible they have been welded the wrong way round, or am I looking at it wrong?

I would post some pics but my cameras not working.

Andy

Hi Al,

That’s great, that’s how I want mine.

Don’t want to be rude but any chance of a pic from the front to show what angle the ball joint pins go into the struts. If it’s the opposite way to mine then I will have to grind off the weld and spin the bracket round 180 degrees and then swap the complete assembly to the other side of the car.

Cheers,

Andy

Right got my camera working (well found the lead to plug it in with ;) ) so here are a few pics showing my problem.

post-2599-1215183340_thumb.jpg

post-2599-1215183439_thumb.jpg

post-2599-1215183487_thumb.jpg

As you can see the brake line rubs on the bracket (Its worse on full lock) and, as mentioned above I can’t swap them round because the angle on the top ball joint will be wrong.

Any ideas before I fire up the grinder?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Hope these give you a few pointers:

It looks like you brackets have been welded 'inside out'. I mean the weld needs to be disc side of the ball joint, you appear to have the weld chassis side of the ball joint.

Looks like you've got to fire up the grinder :( and turn the bracket round :wacko: as you have said and re-weld.

You can't beat a bit of Quality Control can you ;)

Good luck

Al

post-1475-1215186152_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1215186172_thumb.jpg

Guest Tweedy

Hi,I wonder if you have tried all permutations.The wing support bars should be outside the upper ball joint with the longer leg to the rear.Have you checked this option?

Guest gavinc

when we fitted the brackets as others had the ball joint was a bad angle

we found they fitted a lot better on the inside of the ball joint

hope this helps

bodywork48.jpg

Evening all,

Thanks for all the help/ideas and pics. Been busy in the garage grinding and re-welding. Got them the right way round although it appears they were the same as yours Gavin.

Seems much better now and the brake pipe is well clear.

Just got to paint the dammed things again.

Cheers,

Andy