So What Engine Would You Go For?

Guest 300bhp/ton

Guest 300bhp/ton

Hi all :D

A few years back I started looking at kit cars, well specifically Robin Hoods, I had a good poke around one of the Lightweight kits at Donington, however the time wasn't right to purchase.

But, that time looks like it might now be here, however Robin Hood seems to have changed a tad. If I read it correct RH is now GBS?

On what looks like the old Robin Hood website it still lists the Leightweight and Project 2b kits. If I'm honest I liked the looks of the Leightweight, mostly due to its inital purchase price of about £1700.

But there's also a link to another kit on a new webpage called the Zero. Is this the same as any of the previous RH kits or is it a totally new one? I see it also starts from about £1700 so looks cheaper than the 2b but I'm not sure.

What would you guys recommend I look at?

I'm not looking to blow the bank so a low inital cost would be an attraction. I'm wanting to build the car mostly for weekend use on the road, although I could be tempted with an occasional track day, although I wouldn't consider this a must during the build.

In terms of engines I'm open to suggestions although from a purely interests stand point I quite like the idea of using a Honda VTEC unit or for something totally different maybe a more modern CRD diesel engine.

Lastly, SVA tests. I know this is a BIG complex area, but how easy are these different kits at getting them road legal, I read somewhere that a lot of people where having issues with the Lightweight kit, are these issues still a problem or have they been resolved in the latest version of the kits (if they are still available that is). Are the Zero kits easier and more hassle free to get SVA'd?

Thanks for your help and I hope you can bear with me for any other q's I might have.

Cheers :D

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi and welcome to the world of Hoods

You are correct, the lightweight is no more as indeed is Robin Hood.

However GBS is the new Robin Hood.

The "Zero" is the replacement for the Lightweight.

If you want a fast track day car then this is for you and pound for pound good value.

If you want a nice large touring "7" type car then the 2b is the way to go, and GBS say they are about to start production of it again.

Don't be misled by that though because a "breathed" on 2b can mix it with the best of them, I run a Toyota 1600 16v in mine and its PDQ.

Some run 4litre V8's, Tuned Zetecs, highly tuned pintos, the list is endless.

Add your location to your profile get along to your local meet, and have a good look round, you might even be offered a ride.

Peterborough show is only 3 weeks away 9th 10th August, come along and say hello.

You will see lots of Robin Hoods and their owners there.

Ian Johnson

RHOCaR events secretary.

Guest 300bhp/ton

Thanks for the reply :D

I was getting rather confused as the old Robin Hood website still displays but with a different URL. However it makes it look like all the old kits are available, there are also several phone numbers dotted all over the show. From what I've read it looks like GBS have had over year to get this sorted, doesn't look very professional to me, but ho hum.... I just hope they are better at building cars than maintaining websites...

So, at present only the Zero is available right?

I think it would suit my needs/wants. While I'm not looking for a track car it will only be used for the purpose of fun, so I'm quite prepared for certain compromises.

The Zero website doesn't seem to contain much info, is there anywhere with more info, such as a review of the kit or how well it goes together/drives, etc?

Are there any on the road and legal?? Their website says they have sold over 90, but it doesn't say how many have made it to be road legal if any. Just curious as this will be my first kit car and all the SVA malarky appears rather scary, I don't want to spend hours and hours and quite a few £££'s to then have to start over.

Also, does anyone knoe how easy it would be to get a 2.0 Honda VTEC engine into and running in a kit like the Zero?

Thanks again. :D :D :D

Guest 300bhp/ton
They dont build the car......they sell the kit & you build it.....how well is up to you.... :D

lol ;)

But I'm sure you know what I mean... B)

Guest 300bhp/ton

I'm looking at purchasnig a Zero kit, but I'm not certain what engine or transmission to run. The Zero website doesn't really seem to contain much info on this. I know it lists a new Ford 2.0 Zeetec unit at £2200 but I really don't want to pay that much for an engine unless I must and I'm interested in exploring other engine options.

So anyone know how easy it would be to fit something like a Honda VTEC engine, maybe a 2.0 from a Tyre R or a 2.2 from a Prelude?

Other oddball choice, maybe a turbo diesel. I think a modern CRD unit weighs similar to an older cast iron petrol motor so there would be little weight disadvantage. Was thinking maybe a Ford TDCi unit. You can chip them for over 160bhp, loads of torque and I suspect over 60mpg in a Zero.

Anyone know of anything similar being done or already on the road?

What other engines seem to be popular choice?

Thanks. :D

You'll probably be better off sticking to ford as the parts are cheap and plentiful. They seem to fit together quite well and loads of people have already done it so there is lots of knowledge on the subject. a nice 16v zetec and mt75 gearbox would be sweet.

if i wanted a non-ford engine i'd take a look at RAW and their toyota 1.6 engines. They seem pretty good.

On the Honda side of things i believe that you would have to source a gearbox as well as i think they spin the other way giving you 4 speed reverse on a ford box :D

ooh i have seen a couple of 7's with nissan 200sx engines and gearboxes as they are RWD as well.

If you deviate from a ford gbox you will also need a different prop which is added expense.

HTH

(ps ive got a 17yrs old 1.6 pinto and its still a load of fun :D )

Guest chris brown
Also, does anyone knoe how easy it would be to get a 2.0 Honda VTEC engine into and running in a kit like the Zero?

The only Honda engine (other than a bike one) that could be used is the S2000 as all the others turn anticlockwise.

There is by now several Zeros that have passed SVA and are on the road there are also several people building who have there own web sites Try this one and see how Baxter T Bear is building his With a little help from Marcus.

Guest chris brown

Unless you have lots of cash to throw at the project then stick with the KISS principle and go for Ford throughout in the first place. The old Pinto is heavy but still makes a light car good fun. The Zetec is better but expect to spend over 2K on engine and injection system (ECU throttle bodies’ injectors etc). This can be reduced by using bike carbs but still isn’t cheap.

hi

if your in the beds and bucks area your close to me , i have several lightweights here two that have been svad and further under construction .

marcus is in watford and well under way on the zero build, as previously said the lightweight is no longer availiable,

you could come and visit me and have a look , you could pm zoom zoom (marcus )and ask how his build is going.

as ian said peterborough is in 3 weeks and we always welcome new faces .

re engines

pinto is a good start , many have fitted xflow just to get the sva out of the way then gone on to fit something more exotic.

my xflow is coming out now to make way for an st170 on bike throttle bodies, should be good for 200 bhp ,

car weighs arround 650 kgs should be lively enough.

as said 2bs and s7s have had v8 and v6 fitted also red top vaux and cossies.and toyota 16 valve , zetec also.

the zero will i think only take a 4 cyl engine (i wait to be corrected) as chris says if the engine will turn the right way and you can get it in and mated to a rear wheel drive box then it can work .but dont under estimate the complexicity of fitting a late ecu managed engine . bolting the engine and box in is prob the easy bit.

regards graham

Guest 300bhp/ton

Thanks for all the replies, well I guess it's food for thought. ^_^

As for the engines, well it looks like the Honda lump is a no no, unless I can find an S2000 engine and gearbox but I hate to think of the cost on that.

I wonder how other companies get around the issue of it spinning the other way though, I was looking at a Marlin yesterday and they can run either Honda VTEC or Rover K Series engines, but it is mid engined so maybe it's easier to sort....

I think I'd opt for a Megasquirt EFI setup on any of the engines anyone else using it?

Guest 300bhp/ton
hi

if your in the beds and bucks area your close to me , i have several lightweights here two that have been svad and further under construction .

marcus is in watford and well under way on the zero build, as previously said the lightweight is no longer availiable,

you could come and visit me and have a look , you could pm zoom zoom (marcus )and ask how his build is going.

as ian said peterborough is in 3 weeks and we always welcome new faces .

re engines

pinto is a good start , many have fitted xflow just to get the sva out of the way then gone on to fit something more exotic.

my xflow is coming out now to make way for an st170 on bike throttle bodies, should be good for 200 bhp ,

car weighs arround 650 kgs should be lively enough.

as said 2bs and s7s have had v8 and v6 fitted also red top vaux and cossies.and toyota 16 valve , zetec also.

the zero will i think only take a 4 cyl engine (i wait to be corrected) as chris says if the engine will turn the right way and you can get it in and mated to a rear wheel drive box then it can work .but dont under estimate the complexicity of fitting a late ecu managed engine . bolting the engine and box in is prob the easy bit.

regards graham

PM sent.

hi me and rick are in the middle ov building a 2b with a vauxhall redtop engine witch personaly i think is the best engine to use as it is a common convertion for some rwd fords so all the convertion parts are readily available and this will mate to the ford type 9 box with a convertion bellhousing, standard they are running 150bhp if you run carbs insted ov the injection your looking at 170bhp were running bike throttle bodies and megasquirt, but its not wierd up yet. if you dont know much about car electronics or you dont have a mate that does this can be a complex job

Guest zoomzoom

Hi

I'm going for the quickest and most cost effective way to get the car on the road so will fit the

pinto engine that came with the kit.

The engine bay is quite small so I'm not sure if any bigger engine will fit (6 cyl v8 etc)

I would love to fit an alfa v6 from a 165 and when i find one for sale at the correct (for correct read low) price I might buy it

to size it up and see if it will fit.

Marcus