Superspec Cables

Al Milton

Daft questions I know, but am I missing the bleedin obvious?

I have the clutch cable bolted through the pedal and is secure, but there is a 'kink' to the cable from the the input of the pedal box, which doesn't look right, it kinks approx 4-5mm towards the brake pedal. Also, is there a way to secure the threaded clutch cable 'flange' that passes through the pedal box front?

Another one, how does the accelerator cable secure to the inside of the pedal box on the plastic flange/grommet thing?

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers

Al

Hi Al,

attach some pictures so we can get a better idea of the problem.....

I know the cables may be different ona Sspec....

On the 2B the throttle cable has a "barb" on the plastic flange....it's a push fit into the servo mount plate.

I had to make a "Hoody adjustment" (bodge!) when I fitted twin throttle cables.

The clutch cable may be kinked if the clutch pedal has been repositioned for more foot space?

HTH Bob

post-71-1216890929_thumb.jpg

post-71-1216891001_thumb.jpg

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Hi Al,

Not sure about the kink in the clutch cable, as mine seemed pretty straight, maybe you've got the pedals spaced slightly differently? Or knowing the RH build ethos maybe the hole in the pedalbox is in a slightly different location ;)

As far as holding the cables in the pedal box, I treaded a jubilee clip onto them before attaching the cable to the pedals. The clip can then be fastened up on the inside of the pedal box stopping the cables from pulling back through.

Phill.

Hi Bob/Phill,

Photo attached. As you can see, the pedals seem to be too far to the right, causing the cables to be 'kinked' correspondingly, the positions being dictated, I think, by the brake pedal, to give approx 50mm spacing between each pedal.

However, if I move the brake pedal to be centrally located in the master cylinder clevis pin, then I get serious fouling on the steering shaft/column union (as in it won't rotate as it it jammed against the pedal!).

I am considering buying a new set of pedals as I may have had a bum set. I've already had to modify the brake pedal to get clearance around the union mentioned above.

I like the idea of a jubilee clip, nice and simple Phill.

Cheers

Al

post-1475-1216930056_thumb.jpg

Guest rhetorical-oracle
I like the idea of a jubilee clip, nice and simple Phill.

Nice and simple! That sounds like me! :D

Looking at your photo, what happens if you attach the cable to the other side of the pedal? Does it just kink about the same amount but in the other direction?

Phill.

Guest allenr03

When you conect the cable to the pedal make sure it can pivot freely on the fixing or I guarantee the cable will break very quickly!! Same goes for the bell housing end. After my cable broke (600 miles!) the AA man fitted a nipple on the clutch realse lever and it was held by cable pressure nd nothing else. If you bolt the threaded bit to the arm it can't pivot as the clutch arm travel through its arc. Hope that meake sense.

On my car the the pedal lined up well but my cable was connected on the other side.

Tried putting the cable the other side of the pedal, same result but opposite 'kink' :(

So repositioned the washers to move the pedal further to the left. This helped, but also filed down protruding edge on eyed fixing on the cable to allow a flush fit. This is a lot better with only a very small 'kink'.

Tightened everything up, but will now release slightly to allow cable to pivot, thanks for the heads-up Richard :good:

Also, don't suppose you have a piccy of your cluth release lever arrangement Richard?

Thanks for the tips and pointers chaps.

Al