Black Smoke

Guest Captain Daz

Guest Captain Daz

Please tell me its just adjustment needed....

Emmisions test is perfect. CO 0.78 (max 3.50) HC 76 (max 1200).

Drives without problems apart from...

During hard acceleration I get some black smoke from the exhaust.

Was thinking it may be running rich. I have 2.0ltr pinto, single carb and ESCII module. All stock as removed from the car.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Daren

During hard acceleration I get some black smoke from the exhaust.

Best cure is to keep your eyes on the road instead of the exhaust pipe during hard acceleration.... :D

Seriously, black smoke just shows a rich mixture, but if the idle settings are so good, it cant be too bad.

Agree check the air filter.

Guest Nigel Novice

Also make sure top of carb is tight and or gasket is in good order could be drawing fuel over the top specially if breathing is restricted

Nigel

Guest salty_monk

and make sure you don't have anything "living" in the exhaust pipe (like a rats nest from when you were building or one of tricky dicky's homemade baffles... :)

If you passed emissions, you may not be that rich.

Have you checked valve stem seals ? I had a reputuation for creating black fog and it was due to these. But it WAS drinking a litre of oil every 100 miles. Ask the TV mob, they were always having to wash it off their cars !! :o :o :o :o

All fixed now, I hasten to add :D

You will get an initial belt of black smoke when you floor it, the acceleration jet literally squirts fuel into the manifold. It should clear after a couple of seconds, if it's not, then something is choking it. as said, pancake filters are only fit for using as coasters to put your brew on.

Guest Captain Daz

Thanks Chaps

Those were the ideas I was having. I do have a pancake filter and thought that it may be strangling the breathing. Will try that and then keep my fingers crossed.

Would have thought that if it was oil seals the smoke would be blue-ish?

Best cure is to keep your eyes on the road instead of the exhaust pipe during hard acceleration....

Nice one Bob! Wasn't looking behind me. It was my Dad driving through the smog I left in my wake!! :D

Guest Captain Daz

Thanks guys.

That did the trick. Took off the filter and now no smoke. Better performance too.

Thanks Dan.

I'll have a look at my clearance and maybe get one of those.