Fuel Tank

Redspec

Hi all

Ever since getting the car I have been thinking about mods to improve it / make it mine, and one thing it does lack is any boot space, the tank fills up most of the space.

So I have been thinking of fabricating a plastic tank out of HDPE and incorporating it into the wasted space in the rear. I know a lot of car makers have used HDPE and looking at the chemical resistance tables it is OK. The tank would be of a fabricated construction and hot gas welded, after a quick measure I think it would hold about 6 gal. this would then give me loads of space to construct a boot,

Just to add it would NOT be a home made job and would be welded by "coded" welders

Does any one know of a reason why it can not be done as I have looked all over the internet and can not find any reasons.

Thanks in advance

Steve <_<

hi steve

my first 2b passed sva with a plastic tank , it came from i think car builder solutions .

i no nothing re plastic regs or type of plastic though .

thoughts are you might have a prob if not certificated for use imho.

regards graham

I have a plastic tank in mine, 30 ltrs cant remember who made it, but a i heard bad reports from one or two others who had them about them splitting on the seams, mine seems (no pun) to be fine, i would recommend you fit it onto/into its own brackets/frame and keep it flat and square to avoid stress on the seams.

HTH

Mitch

Guest Ramraider

As far as I am aware there are no particular regs for plastic fuel tanks...Many modern cars are fitted as standard with plastic cells...If it is built by a coded welder then I suggest you get him/her to give you a cert to say it's suitable for the job...

IMO they are better than steel etc as they flex under impact if properly made...

Hi, I've got an ali tank made by allyfab, It leaves loads of room for boot space and holds 47 litres (ish).

Nick

Hi Nick,

I have had a look at some after market tanks which are much better than what I have but not perfect. The reason I want to go plastic is so I can make a custom tank that will best use the space and in true hoodie fashon I can get the lads at work to make it hence the cost will be £0-00.

At the same time I can fab the boot liner and make it waterproof.

Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

I have made boot panels out of 9mm hardwood ply for my Spec and covered the three 'flat' outer panels (one over the diff, one dropping down following the chassis tube and one returning to the rear panel along the said chassis tubes), with fibreglass, just adds a little more strength (and water proofing!). Covered the rest of the panels with the fibreglass resin to water proof them, paying attention to the edges. Will also stone chip these panels to cover up imperfections in my fibreglassing. Probably overkill I know, but I want to protect the tank.

Sealing the panels is planned to be with exterior grade silicon and fitting the panels together with 'L' brackets.

I'm going to use the RH 30ltr tank which sits in the 'recess' in front of the rear panel, (2b position??). The increase in the boot space available is substantial. Enough room for the other halfs packing for a weekend ;) and a change of pants for me :D

Just got to fit them now!!

Al