What 7 Should I Buy

Guest james

Guest Stuart Ainslie

James,

Give us an idea of what you want the car for.

Track days, looks, cruising up the high street etc.......???

There are lots to choose from, depends on what you want to do with it.

Stuart.

Guest Stuart Ainslie

As a general fun car that is pretty nippy, you probably won't go far wrong with a Pinto-powered RH - a bit heavy but fine....

If you want a track day special, look towards a Stuart Taylor or MK chassis and build from there.

Just my opinion though - I am sure that other people have theirs.....

Stuart.

To be honest this isn't the best forum for asking such questions as we are all Robin Hood bods. Not saying your not welcome, just that you may find answers as a bit biased. If you after cheap fun, then a Hood is a good way to go, otherwise research all the other models available, get mags, go to shows, talk to owners. It's not a decision anyone else can make for you.

Mat

I disagree with you there :mellow: this IS the best place to ask 'cos we were in that position once, well I was :unsure:

James

I chose a Robin Hood because I wanted

(1) something to do while unemployed

(2) I always wanted to build a kit car

(3) Price/performance ratio was correct

(4) RHSC Ltd isn't a here today gone tomorrow company (they are likely to be around in 5 years)

(5) Good pose (show off)

And after I bought I found this forum and I have been laughing ever since :lol: :p

Dave

Guest Battery Bill

Dave

(4) RHSC Ltd isn't a here today gone tomorrow company (they are likely to be around in 5 years)

Well what happened to Robin Hood Engineering then?

Bloody typical that they changed their name just as Joey and I bought a RHE numberplate :boohoo: :boohoo:

Bill

I don't know why they bothered :mellow:

But its cosmetic, they didn't go bust with everyones money and start up the next day...like some companies which I would name but cannot remember any :(

Watchdog and Thats Life named loads, including other programs like "Builder from Hell" and "Plumber from hell" etc

Your number plate hasn't lost any value IMHO... :)

Dave

The reason i posted on the site was that i thought people here would of once been in the same predicament, im not asking anyone to make decision for me,but i am interested in peoples views.

The robin hood is certainly a suitable car but does appear to be much larger than caterhams,westfields etc,maybe this is down to the donor vehicle used??

do smaller robin hoods exist??

James, you haven't put a location in your details, but I suggest you find out where and when the local club meetings are held. Go along and see a few cars, ask questions, the owners are a friendly bunch and you may get a ride too! As for the size thing, the early Triumph based cars were smaller, narrower anyway and the Mk1 Sierra cars were too. Problem with the narrow cars is that the choice of a decent seat is limited.

Peter.

You could always try going the Locost route, I presume you want a pre-built car, try CLICK there is a forum just like this one. The cars are generally smaller and lighter but come at similar prices to RH. They are mostly built along the lines of the book by Ron Chapman.

James, there's only one person that can point you in the right direction, and that's yourself, After you've done you homework looking and weighing up all your requirements, then seeing which cars fulfil those requirements.

Type of car. :- '7' style? roadster? wedding car? Beach Buggy? etc. etc.

Outright speed. :- Track car.

Size. :- Large arse, small arse?

comfort. :- carpet, seats etc

Windscreen.

Weather gear.

Insurance limits.

Age of car.

Spares availability, both mechanical (Donor) & Kit.

possibly not the last, but a major point, Price & what do you get for your money??

The only thing that I will say is that should you get a Robin Hood, you will be amongst the very best Kit Car owners in GB. I think that is because we all appreciate the cars more, due to the level of work that has to be put into them.

now if you're still think RH, then check out the known faults that each model has, to see if the car that you are looking at has had any of them addressed.