Wiring Loom Advise

richyb66

I'm thinking of getting stuck into some wiring over Christmas to make a light beak from mince pies, DIY and Bond film repeats.

The plan was/is to get a loom from Premier Wiring because all the reports I've read seem positive but unfortunately they're now off on holiday and I can't get a loom until sometime in the New Year.

The question is do I get a loom from GBS instead? I've not read any reports on them and don't know who makes them so I don't want to buy one just to get it before Christmas and end up with a disaster.

Anyone got any opinions, positive or otherwise. It's not like I have to start the wiring now, I just thought that it would be a good job to do over Christmas and would make a change from all the fabricating I seem to have been doing lately.

Guest markhorton

I can't comment on the looms but why not make your own? I have re-wired my 2B using all new cable and fuse box. I went through all the wiring diagrams for the sierra, stripped out all of the unused circuits until I was left with the essentials, I then worked out the position for the fuse box and wired the column to the box then run new cables for the lights etc. It worked out a lot cheaper than buying a loom and I know what every cable does.

I have thought about making a loom but decided against it on the basis that I frankly don't have the time. I only manage an average of about 5 hours a week working on the car and as the cost isn't particularly an issue, the time is probably better spend starting off with 75% of a complete harness rather than starting from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shagster

The thing with using the old sierra loom is that some of the cable will be damaged and even burnt in places,

I could'nt be bovverd so fitted the premier one with no probs, just follow the instructions, take your time and solder every joint and your laughin.

Mike :D