Cracked Steering Column Mount

Al Milton

Just been outside tinkering and checking the modded tank fit today. Couldn't get this finished unfortunately due to the cold weather affecting the curing time of the glass resin I am using to seal the ply boot panels.

However, noticed this crack while trial fitting some Focus column stalks. Thankfully the other 3 mounts look fine.

Am I correct in thinking that the steel plate that appears to go through the 'cracked' fitting is the load bearer? (This crack is on the front left column mount point on the SuperSpec chassis).

Would it be possible to repair to keep Mr SVA / IVA man happy? (repair being weld or secure with chemical metal?) or is it a new column?

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers

Al

post-1475-1230483315_thumb.jpg

Hi Al

it looks like tghe ally block is just a spacer & that youre right in thinking that the mild steel brackets it the part that takes the load.

Can you just remove the ally block & space out the mild steel bracket?

I dont see any SVA issue with that..

HTH Bob

Hi,

Graham, I take your point about changing the column, but it does appear, as Bob states, (thanks for the clearer and definitive explanation than mine Bob!), that the ally is used as a spacer.

Always food for thought, thanks chaps.

Cheers

Al

Guest salty_monk

If it's just a spacer you could definitely make up a new one. Welding it "shouldn't" be an issue either but you'd have to get it tigged. You could always grind back the weld & paint it - very unlikely to be seen then.

Dan :)

• 2 weeks later...

Welder is off long term sick, so based on the presumption that the crack does indeed appear to be a spacer.

I have packed it out with some washers, (both sides to keep it equal), the mild steel is the load bearing part sandwiched through the ally.

Column is rock solid.

Cheers

Al

post-1475-1231706765_thumb.jpg