Bt, What A Lovely Bunch They Are..........

Al Milton

Me and the Misses were wondering why we couldn't make any calls on our landline to either mobiles or other landlines today.

Checked the line status on line and low and behold, the lovely people had cancelled our account. :spiteful:

Thankfully, and God knows how, t'internet was still working, so we checked when the last bill had been paid (incase we had missed one). This was paid on 14 Dec 08.

After having a nice chat with the Indian call centre operators, and declining new services (how can we have services when you have cancelled our account you idoits!!), we finally got to speak to someone who roughly knew what they were supposed to be doing.

After telling them numerous times that we were not moving (and no you cannot have our forwarding address becasue we aren't moving), they told us that we had cancelled the account on the 15th Dec at 13.38. Again, God knows how as we were both at work and no we are not moving (again!).

Got through to someone who did not want to sell us new services, (finally, thank you Lord!), who explained that they have a note on our file requesting the account closure, the good thing is that the account was only cancelled this morning. However, when questioned about their security protocol to ensure that they were speaking to the correct account holders in the first place, we were alarmed to be told that the only security question asked is 'How do you pay your bill?' BT did not even contact us to confirm the request or confirm the account closure day.

There is no transcript of the alledged phone call to BT, nor is there any other trace of this instruction that they can send us (funnily enough!) - thanks for the pointers though Robin :hi:

Phone call to Delhi or wherever cost us £6, not that this will break the bank, but its the principle that BT's call centre poor security protocols caused this problem in the first place. They will be receiving a bill for this call.

The account will be re-activated, but this will take a couple of days to action. Again, this is a pain in the glutimus maximus, but at least the problem is sorted now - hopefully!!

What bothers me most, with all of the ID theft, fraud etc going on worldwide, a major technology (and I use that word in the loosest possible way) company, does not ensure that they are speaking or liaising with the account holders. Are they total buffoons (the company, not the people)???

I'm sorry if anyone here works at a call centre, please don't take this personally there are plenty of excellent operators and effecient call centres, but this is an experience that will be fed to OFCOM as there is a glaring deficiency in BT's security protocols.

Rant over, calming down.

Al

Guest Jabberwocky

I am suprised at that, I deal with BT on almost a daily occurance and never have any problems with them (apart from one call center which is in scotland)

The company that annoys me the most with call centers is Orange.... just thinking about it makes my blood boil

Just a thought on this Al , i wonder if some phone service provider is trying the same trick as rogue elements in the gas and electric providers have been doing ,( i certainly hope not) changing peoples provider without them knowing .

But one never knows these day what scam will be next to hit.

I try not to use call centres at all as they drive me mad getting them to understand the querks of english language .

Mike

Guest graham.g

I have just moved house recently, and had arranged cancelation of phone at old address and a new account start up at my new address I,m not going to go into detail but it was the biggest balls up ever. And to sort it out took weeks and hours on the phone to sort it out.

They have not got a clue ?

Biggest shower of w----rs ever

Al If they have promised you re-activation dont count your chickens till it happens. because if it was like my drama it could be a long wait yet, and youll be back on the phone to BT pulling your hair out .

GRAHAM

Guest keith12

I once lived in a flat in Solihull town centre, I lost my BT line through no fault of mine for 2 weeks with no explanation no apologies and no compo.

I vowed once I get the chance to leave BT I would, then I moved house back into Brum at the time Birmingham Cable were installing their network in my area giving me the chance to get my own back so I switched.

That was nearly 20 years ago and have never had any problems, its cheaper than BT and they look after their customers better, so the best thing for you to do is switch if at all possible, good luck.

PS Birmingham cable are now Virgin Media

Guest robinj66

If you are getting no joy from BT then OFCOM is your next point of call

OFCOM

Probably best to make a written complaint/demand for compensation from BT, warning them that you will be taking your case to Ofcom if you don't get a satisfactory response.

Can you reverse the charges when calling BT? :lol:

Can you reverse the charges when calling BT? :lol:

Would love to, but can't call out from the landline :aggressive:

If we did reverse BT would we all come down with TB, which is as we know, a very nasty affliction to have, bit like BT really :D

Hope some lovely company hasn't done the dirty Mike, could be another potmess :wacko:

Thanks for the salt in the wound Nigel, very nicely worded :D , NTL haven't ventured into deepest darkest East Kent yet :cray: and as for you stroking your Virgin cable, I hope you had the curtains drawn :D :D

Right, now for the complaint letter to TB....

Al

We have fun with telecomms providers every-so-often.

BT don't have as many ISDN lines as they have subscribers!!!!! So what they do is look at the usage figures and "borrow" lines that don't seem to be used (they'll strenuously deny this but I know different). The problem this causes us is down to the way we use ISDN - as backup lines for the faster network links. That means we don't use our lines until there's a problem elsewhere. Problem then is that BT's unofficial policy means there's nothing there for us when we do need them (despite the fact that we're paying for them 24/7). We've finally solved our problem by writing some code that sends some "keep alive" traffic down the ISDN line every-other night - funnily enough the ISDN lines don't get disconnected any longer.

Clueless & Witless (sorry Cable & Wireless) aren't much better. Whatever happens the problem is with your kit as theirs is all working fine.

NTL is one I only deal with at home so I'm not that sure although admittedly I've not had any problems with them (apart from the continuous calls and letters trying to get me to take out additional services.

Iain

Guest chris n's missus

having been an NTL (or Virgin or whatever the heck they're called these days) customer for a few years i was offered a free sky plus box to tempt me to go to sky. needless to say i took it, with the thought of joining up for sky's see speak and surf package. called BT (who i was once a customer of before the onset of cable phones) and their answer to my request of "how long will it take for them to reconnect me" was "it will cost you £378 for a new line". i don't need a new line i told them, i had a line into my house already, just not been used in a while (6 years). i was then told that if i wanted to be re connected i would need a new line and thats why it would cost £378.

BT were told to get on their bike (in so many words) and i stuck to my lovely cable phone.

with times as they are at the moment, you would've thought companies would be trying their best to give a gold service, for fear of losing customers.

Snottogram sent to BT Customer Services after being told intially that the service would be reinstated in 24-48 hours!!

Phone was disconnected for 6 days.

Had a call from BT customer services this afternoon (UK based), tellling us that they can understand the frustration etc etc and our request was placed onto an 'offline queue', (which can only be guessed at) and this is why the reconnection was taking so long.

The Customer Service agent placed a manual request for reconnection and confirmed this via e-mail at 1502. The phone was reconnected almost immediately (nice one). BT are also happy to arrange compensation, (Bahamas here we come - not :D ).

Note to file for BT though, bring your call centres all back the UK. This has been proven by the quick response once this was dealt with 'at home'. This will also make quite a few jobs available which would be welcomed in this current climate we are in.

Don't think the compensation will amount to much, but it should cover our out of pocket costs with a bit of free line rental in good faith. ;)

Al

Guest Nigel Novice
Note to file for BT though, bring your call centres all back the UK. This has been proven by the quick response once this was dealt with 'at home'. This will also make quite a few jobs available which would be welcomed in this current climate we are in.

To be honest its got to be cheaper for them to bring them back home now the pound is worthless against other currencies and all the Ex Woolies staff are available :rolleyes: no offence ex woolies I'm heading for the heap myself if Corus get their way :huh: