Windscreen Surround Thread Repair

Well it started off as something to pass the time away today as i could not get into work.

I have a secondhand windscreed that i have polished up and refurbed the uprights.

The original threads are a little suspect in places, especially the lower ones either side.

I thought a simple drill out and re tap a larger thread would do the trick and take about an hour.

No such luck, my cr4ppy taps and dies can't cut it and i ended up with 2 x 7mm unthreaded holes.

My ultimate solution was to put some ally rivetnuts in from the inside of the surround and use a long bolt, 2 nuts and a washer to compress it in place, then rebuild the surround with the remainder of the rivetnut sticking out.

Next job will be to drill the upright a little larger and file down the rivetnut so it is a little recessed.

Looks good so far and if it is successful i will prepair an article for the mag.

hi,

another option that i would do if i was to ever re-do my windscreen supports is to weld a 1.5cm strip of bar perpendicular on the windscreen support so that the windscreen surround sits against it. If it is hit from the front it therefore has this to push against not just the screws. In your case you could drill through this and put extra bolts in on the rear of the frame. If only i thought of this before i had painted the supports. hth

I welded a piece at right angles along the front of the windscreen support and then added a bolt on bit of right angle on the inside of the support. This sandwiches the screen upright and provides firm support. Screws are just to hold the support to the frame and carry no stress. Rough pic below of the cross section of the uprights.

Probably easier to weld up the holes in the support, drill some new ones in slightly different places and drill matching fresh holes in the screen frame!

Nigel

another option that i would do if i was to ever re-do my windscreen supports is to weld a 1.5cm strip of bar perpendicular on the windscreen support so that the windscreen surround sits against it. If it is hit from the front it therefore has this to push against not just the screws. In your case you could drill through this and put extra bolts in on the rear of the frame. If only i thought of this before i had painted the supports. hth

Yep, thought of that and have bolted two small angles on using the 4 bolts either side that hold the sidescreen hinges on.

I was never happy with just the 3 small screws especially as there are only about 3 threads holding them on