Com Port Help

Snapperpaul

I have made up a complete second MegaJolt on a board with EDIS, fuses, main twin pole power switch and MegaJolt option switch.

I have connected it to the computer ready to upgrade the Firmware and upload the twin maps using the option switch when i have hit a snag.

I am using USB to serial adaptor which usually works fine once i get the COM port number and adjust the MegaJolt,Tools, Option to the same port, however this time the USB adaptor is on COM Port 13 and the Megajolt configurator only allows COM port 1 to 10.

Computer says all COM ports upto 13 in use

Whats my next move?

Guest mtechautomotive

I would say to get hold of an old £30 laptop with a comm port. USB adapters always give us no end of aggro, its the first question we ask when a customer calls to say hes not getting any comms.

Also, the fact that your laptop says they are in use is a bit iffy!

Matt

Try a different computer?

Find out what is using the other com ports, see if you can change there numbers then change the usb one down?

Send it to me :) (Is it a worth while upgrade and how much does it cost to build)

It could be that if you plugegd the USB->Com in another port it installed and assigned details already, so you could try changing com ports

Uninstall any comports you don't think are being used form teh hardware manager

Buy a new computer

I would say to get hold of an old £30 laptop with a comm port. USB adapters always give us no end of aggro, its the first question we ask when a customer calls to say hes not getting any comms.

Also, the fact that your laptop says they are in use is a bit iffy!

Matt

I threw one in the bin yesterday, AMD 233mhz 2gb disk 128mb ram woot! Any good for programming with? If so I might have to go rescue it!

Its the com port on the home computer which has external hard drive, web cams, kids phones, iPods, Zens etc pluged in.

Its also on its last legs but i am not replacing it, its the missis turn to fork out.

Laptop has shed a hard drive so down to one part usable home PC.

Works stuff is Mac.

Don't have an RS232 lead.

Better buy a cheap laptop then.

Gavin thanks for the loan offer, i'll let you know.

Matt if you recover the binned laptop and want to sell it much cheaply let me know, i would make it a dedicated Megajolt computer.

Guest Nigel Novice

Try unplugging some of the other stuff then try it, probably have to restart PC and it should assign a lower Com port, can plug other bits in afterwards if needed.

• 4 weeks later...