Bottom Balljoint Thread

Guest dh38429

Guest dh38429

Both my lower balljoints seem to have very little thread protruding through the bottom of the hub, and I can't work out why, any ideas anyone? Hopefully theres a link to an image somewhere below which will demonstrate the problem more clearly. You may also notice that theres not much thread showing through the track rod end either. Car is a wishbone 2B of 2001 vintage, hubs are off of a 1600 Sapphire if it makes any difference.

Cheers in advance.

DelBoy

http://s697.photobucket.com/albums/vv338/D...yofDSC00050.jpg

Guest old_timbo

Track Rod looks OK, but the Nylock is not doing much on the ball joint. What washer are you using with it? Looks a bit thick. Its not a spring washer is it? Some people have had these nuts come loose with nasty effect, so I think the recomendation is to drill a hole and wire lock them. Not easy though as the nut is relatively soft in comparison with the ball joint.

Tim

Guest dh38429

Cheers for the replies so far guys. It's a plain washer under the nyloc on the balljoint, even so it's quite a thick one! Even if I replaced it with a much thinner one I doubt I'd be able to get 2 (or is it 3?) threads showing like Mr SVA is going to want to see.

As far as I can remember that is the original nyloc on there, I've tried to find some thinner nylocs but so far I've not had any luck.

Does there have to be a washer there?

DelBoy

Hi Delboy you shouldnt need washers under ur nuts !!! but as said try and drill thro and fit a splitpin if possible but iv got to say iv never had a problem with mine .

Bernie ;)

Hi Delboy,

If you can get some rubberised nut covers (instead of the plastic variety) they should still fit over anyway.

These little beggars (the ball joints and the nuts) will be replaced on mine every 12 months.

I know some people have had no bother, but I've had two nasty incidents already. All explained on my website.

Good luck with the test.

Guest dh38429

Cheers for the tip about the rubberised nut covers Grizzly, I'll try and track some down. I'm just off to check out your website and the 2 little "incidents" you've had.

Cheers

DelBoy

Guest chris brown
where does that ball joint originate from.

woolly

Peugeot as far as I know. It is Quinton Hazel part Number QSJ972S (other suppliers will have other numbers). See the NW site here for more info.