Exmo: Which Inlet Manifold For Twin 45's?

Guest Jonathan Tall

Guest Jonathan Tall

Hi,

I've got twin 45 webers fitted to the Pinto in my EXMO, Unfortunately, due to the height of the sides of the Monocoque chassis, I can only fit 25mm deep Air-Filters (and no rampipes).

I have seen some EXMO's where the side of the chassis has been 'cut and shut' to enable larger air filters, but I'm "rather concerned" about cutting out the MAIN STRUCTURAL member of the chassis*

I'm wondering if an inlet manifold could be made with the runners angled at 45degrees so that the carbs are effectively raised high enough for an airbox to fit ABOVE the side of the chassis.

Does anyone know if this has been done/is possible? Would it cause problems with airflow??

* and I race a hovercraft with no brakes and steering only a mother could love....

I had the same issue when I ran my MK1 Sierra S7 with twin forties. I used a low profile manifold from Europa I think it was about 30mm deep, fitted the shortest trumpets I could find and used some foam type filters. The front filter just touched the chassis but never had any issues. I think having a set up with such a short inlet tract limits some of the performance, I didnt really notice though. You could try searching for a swan neck inlet manifold which would lift up the carbs but I dont know if it would be high enough to clear the chassis and I could never find one.

Jez

Guest mizurage135

go onto ebay, type weber 45, click on fast road cars in ebay shop dont know how do link,

tel no 01495 244362

mob no 07900 373389

email sales@webercarbs.co.uk

he has everything you need

Guest Jonathan Tall
I had the same issue when I ran my MK1 Sierra S7 with twin forties. I used a low profile manifold from Europa I think it was about 30mm deep, fitted the shortest trumpets I could find and used some foam type filters. The front filter just touched the chassis but never had any issues. I think having a set up with such a short inlet tract limits some of the performance, I didnt really notice though. You could try searching for a swan neck inlet manifold which would lift up the carbs but I dont know if it would be high enough to clear the chassis and I could never find one.

Jez

Cheers, maybe I can try making one (lol!)

There was also talk of skimming the front edge and back edge of the inlet manifold by 10degrees or so, in opposite directions. This way the carbs are still flat (they can't run at an angle I believe because of the fuel float chambers etc.) yet are now lifted just above the side cross member.

Guest Ace Fettler

Jonathan,

Attached are a couple of pics of my Exmo fitted with twin 45's on a standard RS2000 manifold. There are no filters fitted in the pics but I used to run a pair of ITG filters which from memory were 50mm deep. The front filter would just rub the chassis rail. Hope this helps.

Richard

post-607-1236077630_thumb.jpgpost-607-1236077574_thumb.jpg

Guest Jonathan Tall
Jonathan,

Attached are a couple of pics of my Exmo fitted with twin 45's on a standard RS2000 manifold. There are no filters fitted in the pics but I used to run a pair of ITG filters which from memory were 50mm deep. The front filter would just rub the chassis rail. Hope this helps.

Richard

post-607-1236077630_thumb.jpgpost-607-1236077574_thumb.jpg

I think your car had the engine mounted slightly more on the drivers side, as the carbs look further from the siderails than mine, although maybe thats the effect of the RS2000 manifold??

Guest Ace Fettler

Jonathan,

Hmm not sure. I used the RS manifold as it raised the carbs slightly which improved accesss to the oil filter and clearance around the dizzy. It may be an optical illusion caused by the increased hight. Certainly the engine was as far to the left (drivers side) as possible but limited by the exahust manifold to servo clearance.

Richard

Guest Tim Norman

I seem to remember lifting my engine a little to make sure I could get the longest manifold on I could. Longer manifold makes for more torque.

Wonder what happened to Bob. :wub: Last I heard he'd been around the Nurburgring and was getting blinged up.

Guest Jonathan Tall
I seem to remember lifting my engine a little to make sure I could get the longest manifold on I could. Longer manifold makes for more torque.

Wonder what happened to Bob. :wub: Last I heard he'd been around the Nurburgring and was getting blinged up.

Would that be Bob Vincent???

He was my area Secretary when I was last a full member (PS I've JUST filled in the online form),

Thinking of that, any Idea who the Area Sec is for the West Midlands??

Jonathan

My Exmo is suffering from a bout of garagitis, everytime I repair something, something else breaks!! :cray:

Hopefully she'll be out and about soon!!.....