Headlamps

Guest Wozzer

I'm just in the process of fitting the headlamps. I was just about to order the sidelight adapters, and after reading some posts on here it seems that money is better spent upgrading the sealed beam units to ones with H4 bulbs and seperate sidelight fittings. I have therefore just been talking to 'Premier wiring system' who were very helpful (I think) who said that the chrome unit I had (RHE) is designed for sealed beams and any replacements, with bulbs, will 'rattle around due to small size difference.

Can anyone advise me on one thats available and fits snugly? :rolleyes:

Well most of us got our replacements from the shows, for around £10 each, and have no problems.

Not from Premier Wiring though (Who are a good crowd to deal with normally)

Sorry I can't tell you who we got them from, there's usually at least 4 or 5 stalls that sell headlights.

Firstly, dont bother with the sealed beam units if you intend to drive in the dark. There seems to be two thicknesses of flanges on headlight units and the thinner ones will rattle around. I ended up with the thinner ones but made spacer rings out of the coiled curtain wire springs without the plastic covering. they are a bit fiddly to fit but work fine.

Peter.

when you say replacements do you mean to replace the sealed beam unit with something more effective, tell us more or is it just the side lights?. a tenner doesnt sound to bad at all... bulbs on top would still be reasonable

Guest Andy Rathbone

i have gone with sealed beam replacments way, they are a lense and reflector unit than fits nicely in the same place as the sealed beam unit and takes the standard H4 headlight bulb and a small side light bulb they work great and where about 10 quid each from europa. the bulbs are another couple of quid not much realy.

I bought a repacement pair of headlights from a stall at the Exeter show.

Cost me £20 including halogen bulbs :p but I had to buy the sidelight bulbs :boohoo:

Les

Jim,

Wozzer's avatar reminds me of your trip to Exeter, although, on the avatar the wipers are working :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the help......

I have spoken to Europa, and ordered myself a pair of Quadoptics with sidelights at £33. (told they were a little better than the budget ones......probably been ripped off again...... :wacko: )

Doesnt seem bad considering it would have been £14 for 2 sidelight adapters from RHE.

:) and I hope my wipers will eventually work !! (like my avatar) :)

Can I ask another question on this topic......

The wires connecting the headlamps will 'dangle' underneath. I presume that they go into the side panel, but what have people used to hide these wires?

I have heard of shower pipe being used, however does it not uncoil? and how do you fasten it on both ends? Would a S/S braided hose be better? Still unsure how to fasten it on though.......

Guest Battery Bill

Wozzer

Thats what we have done quite easy really and looks neat, we have routed the wires out the rear of the shell because coming straight out the bottom did not leave much clearance from the wishbones.

Have a look at our website there is a few pics showing the lights, Oh yes £10 each from Donnington show :D

These are the ones I have ordered, QUADOPTIC very impressed, ordered at 4pm on Monday here at 9:00am Tuesday :D They have come with the side light bulbs & holders but no H4 bulbs. They are stamped with WIPAC and have the E 7370 mark on.

They look the biz........now to see if they fit OK

The RH shells take a standard 7" lucas style bulb - so effectively the sealed beam units are standard fit for Moggy Minor, Old Land-Rovers, and almost any other British car over 30 years old. Like the guys say there are loads of places that make replacement lense/reflector units that will take an H4 bulb. Mine came from Minisport in Padiham and included the sidelight bulbs (all I had to provide were the H4's from the donor headlights). They are Wipac units and cost £24 all in (they do mail order but that would add to the cost).

And regarding the fitting. I actuallly had to remove a little metal from the shells where the locating lugs are. These are just for guidance anyway as they are clamped tight enough by the ring to prevent them from moving in use. All the lugs do is make sure the light is the right way up and reasonably well aligned so that the dip goes right or left as it should.

Iain

Can I ask another question on this topic......

The wires connecting the headlamps will 'dangle' underneath. I presume that they go into the side panel, but what have people used to hide these wires?

I have heard of shower pipe being used, however does it not uncoil? and how do you fasten it on both ends? Would a S/S braided hose be better? Still unsure how to fasten it on though.......

A length of heat shrink and a grommet where it goes throught he nose-infill panel did the job for me.

Ant