Mirror Positions

Guest paulmchaffie

Guest paulmchaffie

i have read lots of posts about siting the mirrors and people talk about the field of view

could someone please explain in simply terms what i need to measure to ensure there right

thanks

If your talking for SVA get a copy of the manual it details it all. After all you need to pass this and its better to build for SVA than to try to make it pass after you've built it. The issue I had was seeing a point on the gound 10 meters back in line with the outside of the car. I had to raise the mirrors on test day to see over the rear wheel arches.

Jez

Guest paulmchaffie

i have looked at the sva draft and dont understand it

it talks about poles etc.

can you confirm you only need to be able to see 10 meters back in line with the outside of the car.

is this for centre mirror aswell

i have looked at the sva draft and dont understand it

it talks about poles etc.

can you confirm you only need to be able to see 10 meters back in line with the outside of the car.

is this for centre mirror aswell

The SVA centre has a area layed out as per diagram in the draft manual

They park the car on the centre line and you must be able to adjust the mirrors from the driver seat so they can see the marks on the poles this means directly over the wheel arches + the field of view which represents a car overtaking and undertaking.

I got away with only a mirror on the Off side the legal requirement + interior but this was an only just pass on the near side according to the tester

Once I drove the car on the road I found I did need the nearside one to get a good view of what was going on behind.

I could not get the westfield ones RHS on temp fit to give anything like the right field of view so bought carbon fibre look alikes from car builder solutions

Fitted into windscreen supports they ar very good and have the right field of view at that hieght.

at my first test i had an odd pair of mirrors (its that kind of car!) and he was happy with the mirrors

ok so next time we fitted the other half of the pair to the passenger side, and the next time he failed the drivers side!

infuriating really because he said he was only going to test the mirrors again so his boss could see him put the poles and cones out from his window.

On my series 3a used a Halfords blind spot mirror. Kidney shaped, plastic mirror surface, stickey pad at £14.99. Got some Z1 motor bike mirrrors from my local motorbike factors, e marked at £19.99. Bolted them through the end of the demist slots. Passed SVA

Hope this helps