Car Trader

Peter Bell

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Peter

Not really sure but I think you have certain rights under common law.

A quick call to Trading Standards or CAB will answer with correct info.

I have used Trading Standards a few times, they love getting there teeth into tricky issues.

If you ask they will send you a full info pack on where they stand on most things.

Guest shaggy

I'm sure they have to offer the same warranty as a garage - 3 months or whatever it is now.

If the sole trader working from home sells the car, and writes on the receipt - sold as seen, then they do get out of this warranty issue.

Si

Writing sold as seen on any receipt is just a waste of ink! A private seller asumes no responibility for the condition of the vehicle. It is up to the buyer to be happy to part with his cash and arrange to have any mechanical inspection carried out.

A trader on the other hand, must inform the private buyer of any known mechanical issues, if, the buyer asks them.

Guest pwlcarz

As fare as I'm aware, no trader has to offer a warranty, however the goods (car) being sold must be as described, fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. He must also not misrepresent the year or mileage, plus of course comply with legalities such as log book, car tax, mot, etc.

If a trader describea car as a heap of junk, but accurately displays the year, age, etc. and you buy the car and then complain because the car has a torn seat, I don't believe he is obliged to take it back or effect repair.

Most traders will offer a warranty as word soon get around if they are selling c*** and won't do anything about it. Genuine Traders want customers to come back.