Webber 32/36 Set Up

thespannerman

Help needed,

Just got car registered with a full rebuild on engine, so don't want to go anywhere near a rolling road yet (still running in at nearly 300 miles).

2 litre pinto (0.5 rebore)

efi head (standard, recut seats)

standard cam shaft (new)

robin hood 4 into 1 and silencer

foam airfilter

6 degrees advance

recon bosch inductive dizzy on donor engine loom

mixture screw 2.5 turns

2 turns at sva gave 0.7 co 184 ppm

Carb dates as an early 70's cortina item (have to check jet sizes). Engine runs well but doesn't clear initial flat spot till 3000 rpm, then another big hole when second butterfly opens. Still got original cold start gubbins on vac advance connections (needs binning) which doesn't let engine pull till temp needle lifts. Coolant overflow bottle working well, stat control leccy fan working well in traffic.

Need some initial mixture settings and jet sizes to get me going before rolling road setup.

Thanks The Spanner Man

Hi Paul, I think the first thing is to bin the cold start stuff as you said. Check play on the spindles, too much and it will suck air in, sounds like the secondary idle jet or gallery may be blocked or dirty, give them a good blow through, you may have a similar problem with the primary. Check the jet sizes, ford seems to play around a lot with jet sizes but mains should be around 135? for a 2l, post what sizes all the jets are. Advance could be increased try up to 10°, if it pinks under load back it off a bit.

I use the same jet sizes as Grizzly, and it definitely runs better with those than 'standard'. You need to check all your basic stuff as well- accel pump working, no leaks on the small rubber interconnecting hoses on the carb, idle mixture adjusted. I had my advance set to 8deg at first (same as my 1600 I had in previously) and increasing it to 10 certainly pepped it up a bit. HTH, Brian

Disconnected the cold start rubbish on the dizzy vaccum. Left in the biggest plastic vaccum hold thingy in line straight to vac point on carb. Biggest problem I think was the plastic valve on bottom of manifold not working, so connetced the accelerater pump blead? diaphragm straight to the other vac point on base of carb. Set up the mixture watching the rev counter with a mirror, weaken off till revs drop then richen up a bit. Check the jets, running standard cortina set up (135/130 main, 170/125 air cor). Took for a run and was much improved with alot cleaner advance curve.

Got the timing light out and advance from 6 to 8 degrees, instantley gave the feel of more power. Must be getting at least 100bhp now.

Back to chasing water and oil leaks now (330 miles on clock), no thought of wind screen and hood yet (having too much fun with a crash helmet).

The two bridge pieces that span the ventures on carb throats have different size drillings. The one with the biggest hole I have put in the first choke ie. smallest choke with biggest jets. Is this right or do they need changing over?

Thanks The Spanner Man