Coolant Problem!

Guest jamie26

Guest jamie26

Just done about 150 miles in the RH and the temp kept rising then it started throwing water out the overflow on the rad, so i removed the thermostat the temps has dropped to about half way which is normal but it threw abit more water out when the temp was just normal. Is this an air lock? if so whats the best way to bleed the coolant? oh its a 2 litre pinto! and there is no heater matrix it is just jointed through

cheers

Jamie

Edited by jamie26

Guest robinj66

I'm having similar problems on my V6.

You might want to check that the water pump impeller is still attached.

Another potential problem is a blown head gasket - a compression test will shed more light on this

possibly an airlock - you need to ensure that the rad cap is the highestpoint in the system. I'm resorting to jacking the front of the car up.

what cooling system are you using?

If its the coolman/cortina radiator have you got an overflow bottle fitted?

This system is designed so that the hot coolant overflows to the bottle as it expands then is drawn back into the radiator as it cools.

Steve

Guest jamie26
what cooling system are you using?

If its the coolman/cortina radiator have you got an overflow bottle fitted?

This system is designed so that the hot coolant overflows to the bottle as it expands then is drawn back into the radiator as it cools.

Steve

The radiator came with the 3 a kit not got a header tank fitted wasnt sure if i needed one do i?

cheers

jamie

Guest chris brown
The radiator came with the 3 a kit not got a header tank fitted wasnt sure if i needed one do i?

cheers

As Steve says you need an overflow tank so any water that comes out when hot (they all do) gets sucked back as it cools down again, you also need if you haven’t already got one, a radiator cap with a seal in the top so it seals on the very top of the rad as well as down on the pressure release (the seal that has the spring behind it)

post-746-1238969340_thumb.jpg

Certainly sounds like air lock. Drill a 2-3mm hole in the stat and position the hole at 12 oclock when fitted. Run up to temp with the rad cap off. Usualy coughs out some water but just keep topping up still with the rad cap off till it's been very hot for a few minutes. Replace cap. Suck back overflow tank is a must.

Nigel

am i wrong in thinking that the thermostat housing on the pinto should have a rubber secured by a jubilee clip which i believe is for bleeding air from the engine. The other option is to add a radiator bleed valve (£1.50ish) into the heater pipe. Just solder some olives (so the pipe wont slip off) onto 2 bits of copper pipe and then solder the t-piece bleed valve in between.

HTH