Newbe Looking For Advice

Guest bob13

Guest bob13

Hi everyone

I am a looking for advice from you guys as I am starting to look for a new toy in the shape of a 7 kit car, I was pointed to this site by Jabberwocky (hi andy) as a good place to start and hopefully stay !.

Now my question is, will I fit in a robin or any 7 kit for that matter? I am 6"2' and have limited movement in my left knee and no movement on my left ankle (fused). All this was thanks to a motor bike accident, so I am looking for the wind in the hair without the risk of being knocked off!

Now being that I can't move my ankle space next to the clutch is a must, as I don't really want a auto for fun, drive one day to day. And as my knee doesn't move much more than 80 degrees max. I suppose the only advantage I have is my left leg is now 2' shorter. I can drive a ford KA manual with no probs if that helps with the amount of space needed to drive.

So will my height plus joint problems make driving this style of car uncomfortable or imposable. I don't mind making modifications to the pedal box to make driving more comfortable but is there the space to do it ? I will be buying a fully built car as I just want to have the fun driving it and maybe modifying it.

Thanking you all in advance and any pointers gratefully received

Cheers Bob.......

Guest Jabberwocky

Bob

It is a bit of an upgrade from the Mk1 Fiesta lol. Like I said matey, with the cars most things can be modified with a bit of thought (and a large hammer)

Andy

Guest Ian & Carole
Hi everyone

.........................................as I don't really want a auto for fun, drive one day to day. .....................

Cheers Bob.......

Says he dosen't want an auto......

I,ve got a 2Bplus and i,ve had to move the seat as close as i can to the pedals and modify the pedal box to bring that closer to the seat i,m 5ft 10 so 6ft + should fit at a guess also raised the steering column height and put a flat bottom rim steering wheel on to give a bit more room to move about when driving also if you have limited movement a snap off steering wheel might aid getting in and out.

I got my 2B same reason as you wanting to replace bikes and it more than satisfies the itch :)

Dan

Guest peter2b2002

Hi Bob, where abouts are you? could be someone near you for a trial fit, I'm 5ft11" and have to slide my seat forwards about 4", there is room under the clutch pedal for resting my left foot on long runs

peter2b

Bob

I'm 6' 4" and also have a dodgey left knee and can get in / out / drive My 2b no problem.

Problem might be that all the cars are built differently so it may be a case of trying till you find one that fits.

Steve

Guest bob13

Many thanks to you all for your reply's.

So my height may not be a problem then, that's good. My other concern is the space around the clutch pedal. Since my ankle is fused it could get hooked under the pedal if I was to rest it under the pedal, especially if a emergency stop is needed, so space to the left of it is a must I think.

Many year ago I did sit in a 7 kit, now I can't remember what it was but the pedals were very close together with very little space. So I am guessing that I would have to wear racing style shoes to drive safely as every inch may count. As had been said I think I will have to try a few before I buy.

Thanks again to you all, and Andy looking forward to you calling in, be good to catch up. As well as try your toy for size.

Cheers Bob......

oops, read it too fast. What about something like a zero with a bike engine? you can do most of your shifting without the clutch pedal and as you dont need the transmission tunnel so wide at the front you could make the footwell wider and also a bit longer.

You may struggle finding a Zero but look at locosts and have a read on their site at what tall people have done.

Guest boggybogstar

The pedals in my zero are quite close together, however thinking about how I built it .... there is quite a lot of space between the bell housing and the tunnel panel level where your feet would be, I'm pretty sure that you could make a 'box' out towards the bell housing and give yourself another 3 to 4 inches of space.

You dont use the Sierra pedal box with the Zero, the kit comes with 3 new pedals - if you asked GBS for them to be longer you could neatly bend them so they are spaced differently - pretty sure that would be ok.

I do like the idea of a bike engine Zero with paddle shifts on the steering wheel, you would only need the clutch to pull away with !!!

• 3 weeks later...