Engine Revs Drop When Stopping

Guest paul091085

Guest paul091085

I have a problem with my 2b that occurs when i drive hard then come to a quick halt, ie coming off a motorway onto the sliproad. The engine revs drop rapidly and the car cuts out unless you quickly blip the throttle and catch it. It is rare that i can come to a stop and have the idle settle at 1000rpm which is where i have it set at the moment. If it doesn't cut out, its normally settles at around 750-800 rpm. Does anyone know what might possibly be causing this?

Guest woolly

one off many could be the carb float levels needle valve not sealing 100% or dirt in the carb. giving a high fuel level under the G of braking

woolly

I had similar problem on mine, would not idle well or cut out whilst slowing down.

Friend of mine spotted this:

post-3623-1240160597_thumb.jpg

There had been a rubber cap there last time we looked and it was sucking air in making the engine run lean, blocked it off again and the car now idles fine and nolonger cuts out.

Guest musker 04

hi mate you need to have a good look at the carb and manifold are you ok on this stuff as am only down the road from you and would gladley have a look at it

Guest paul091085

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions. Thanks 'Musker 04' for the offer to come have a look, however i have finished uni and am now back living in St Albans(must chabe my details). I ran out of time at the weekend to look at anything so will have a better look this Saturday.

Paul

Guest salty_monk

Lean running or maybe a blocked filter or dodgy plumbing to the carb so the float bowls are being starved of petrol....

I *think* if you have a slow filling carb bowl that would affect it more at idle & low throttle than WOT.

Someone better on carbs than me will probably confirm.

Dan :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mtechautomotive
Lean running or maybe a blocked filter or dodgy plumbing to the carb so the float bowls are being starved of petrol....

I *think* if you have a slow filling carb bowl that would affect it more at idle & low throttle than WOT.

Someone better on carbs than me will probably confirm.

Dan :)

If it were injection I would say fuel starvation (ie lack of a swirl pot or something) so again yes would say maybe too low a pressure on the pump/flow rate to keep the bowl full? (Carb novice here!!)

Matt