The Bolt!

Guest sritony

Guest sritony

I have a bit of a decision to make!

As my previous posts the bolt that snapped was a 80mm m10 8.8 so I bought some 80mm ones as well but I found that because of where the water pully is I cant actually get it in without taking the water pully off.

So to combat this problem and for complete ease Today I have recd my m10 60 mm bolts

Soooooooo this is where the issue comes in. The only reason it snapped last time was because the rear 2nd bolt has fallen off putting all the tension on this bolt causing it to give up on life and snap. a nuts width was sticking out the other end of the housing(see pic) and the nut was on tight and no part of the bolt was sticking out other side prob a few mm's space left, so how ever big a nut is plus a little bit in the housing, so the snapped bolt is now just a bit smaller than the 60 mm one I have just bought maybe 58-59mm

a) if i try putting the 60 mm bolt in, it should fit passed the water pully and will go about 5mm (my maths could be wrong) maybe bit more into the housing which is self tapped (has the thread in it basically if this is right word) and there will be a high tensile 2nd bolt which I will put a locking nut on to on the rear offering strengh. I think I should be able to do this!

or

B) Someone takes the water pully off which i believe is a massive job and put the 80mm one in like it should be but then this means its off road for alot longer I would guess and without taking engine out I think this might be a hard job anyways as one of the bolts is in a really hard to get to place but with my complete lack of knowledge I could be wrong on this and theres little chance of me doing this cuz I have only just learned what a High Tensile bolt is let along taking a water pully off haha :D

post-3381-1240656990_thumb.jpg

Tony

I had a problem like this where a high tensile bolt snapped a few times.

To resolve it I used 12.8 strength bolts instead of the 8.8 ones.

Then the weakest point would be the nuts you are using. If there is enough room you could put 2 nuts on, spreading the load.

Jez

Guest sritony

Yeah I think allen head might be another answer to get it as far as poss, i don't know how much load go on these bolts so would 5 odd mm of thead be enough to hold it on! I mean if it snaps this time I will have to take water pully off because there is no way to get it out apart from drilling it out

with the spacer on there is 20 mm of thread left so I would guess the spacer will fit tight against the housing so that its correct lenght? so would that mean I would have 20mm in housing?

not sure whether this helps but a general rule ive heard it that if you screw in a bolt 1.5times the diameter of the bolt thats as strong as the threads will ever be. so for an m8 if you screw it in 12mm thats as strong as it will ever be. So there is no advantage to screwing it in eg 30mm for strength (the only advantage being that if it comes loose it will take longer to fall out). hth

Edited by agent_zed

Guest sritony

Hello,

Well i went to work on the car (5 hours later) I have made some progress, luckily my step dad turned up to help me......even though i done most of the work.

The 60mm bolt was no good at all would of went about 2mm into the housing if that, so the only option was to take the water pully off, difficult job I thought took about 5 mins was just getting the bolts off, few scratches and scrapes. Got the water pully off and this meant the 80 mm bolt went in no problem, so put the alt on put the water pully on tried to put the belt back on and it wouldn't fit, so took the water pully off again and attached it round and all was good again belt on.

Soooooooo all I have left to do now is tighten water pully up proply,fit a 2nd rear bolt to the alt for stability, fix the adjuster back on, tighten fan belt, attach cables t and that should be it for the moment so think I will do that tomorrow!

Guest turbo

well done tony you are learning well,i was going to tell you about fitting the belt back on before tightening the pully back up :p if the belt was any longer there is no room to tighten it as the alternator then hits the side of the car b4 going tight.

Guest graham.g

Well done Tony, I knew you could sort it out. Just needs a bit of confidence and getting stuck in.

Will see you at the church mouse wednesday in the superspec :good:

Graham

Guest sritony
Well done Tony, I knew you could sort it out. Just needs a bit of confidence and getting stuck in.

Will see you at the church mouse wednesday in the superspec :good:

Graham

Thank you:) , yep confidence is all you need..... so i am very happy and feel i achived something going from never been under a car before to taking off a alt, water pump pully, fitting the belt and refixing it back on its all good :)

well been at church mouse in the spec is optimistic but I am hoping :)

Tony