Help Needed

Guest sparkt

Guest dave mac2b7

Overheating ignition module. Did you use some heat sink paste on the back of the module? Is it flat against the bodywork? Mine wasn't......Took me ages to find the fault...

Dave

Sounds like fuel starvation still. If you run the engine till it starts to falter just take off the fuel tank filler cap. If there is a vacuum inside you may hear a hiss as air goes in and the engine will pick up almost immediately. Could be blocked fuel filter/s. Have a look at them and replace to be safe.

The squirt of petrol when you hit the accelerator pedal comes out of a separate reservoir from main float chamber so does not confirm petrol in the float chamber! Try hitting the pedal half a dozen times. If there is fuel in the carb you will get 6 good squirts. If there is fuel starvation you will get 1 or 2 squirts then nothing.

Nigel

Had similar problem myself many years ago.

Turned out that the mechanical fuel pump worked OK cold but as it warmed up it pumped less and less.

Stop and it cools down.

It took me about 1 hour to get 7 miles home.

I had the top off the float chamber after the second stop and sure enough a low level of petrol in the chamber.

Also it always failed going up hills, Tank at the back engine in front making the pump work harder.

Guest sparkt
Overheating ignition module. Did you use some heat sink paste on the back of the module? Is it flat against the bodywork? Mine wasn't......Took me ages to find the fault...

Dave

Its a new module and it has had heat paste put on it and flat to panel i still have the problem with old and new module

cheers

Guest sparkt
Had similar problem myself many years ago.

Turned out that the mechanical fuel pump worked OK cold but as it warmed up it pumped less and less.

Stop and it cools down.

It took me about 1 hour to get 7 miles home.

I had the top off the float chamber after the second stop and sure enough a low level of petrol in the chamber.

Also it always failed going up hills, Tank at the back engine in front making the pump work harder.

might try a new pump but it normaly cuts out when you pull up at lights or roundabouts

cheers

Guest sparkt
Sounds like fuel starvation still. If you run the engine till it starts to falter just take off the fuel tank filler cap. If there is a vacuum inside you may hear a hiss as air goes in and the engine will pick up almost immediately. Could be blocked fuel filter/s. Have a look at them and replace to be safe.

The squirt of petrol when you hit the accelerator pedal comes out of a separate reservoir from main float chamber so does not confirm petrol in the float chamber! Try hitting the pedal half a dozen times. If there is fuel in the carb you will get 6 good squirts. If there is fuel starvation you will get 1 or 2 squirts then nothing.

Nigel

sorry but on in line fuel filters on system, hit pedal as many times as you like and you stil get fuel, and on vacum in tank

cheers