Running Hot Again

Guest scrabster

Guest scrabster

hi all, as the title suggests its still running a bit hot,im still not convinced having the rad flat is a good thing.ducting the airflow improves it a lot and at motorway speeds its fine but on the twisty bits the temp creeps up.had a run to mallory park yesterday to watch some classic car races,and some sevens aswell,mine ran ok didnt even spit any water into the catch bottle i thought problem was sorted because i put a 13lb rad cap on.journey back was a different story,it was a hot day anyway but at one point in traffic it reached 120 degrees but it did not boil over nor did it spit any water out but when it does spit it out its gone compleatly non to suck back in.dont know if it was the heat but the speedo was fluttering from 60mph to 90 mph when i know i was doing 70 at about 3000rpm,another prob to sort.anyway got back home, left car on the drive to cool down a bit and couldnt start it due to no petrol,fuel gauge showed just under 1/4 tank when i got back but after cooling down showed empty unless the the last of the petrol evaporated in the heat lol.lucky to get home i suppose.well that was my day yesterday,oh and a mate from work came with me and he loved it,got some good film with his camera.

jess. :D

hi all, as the title suggests its still running a bit hot,im still not convinced having the rad flat is a good thing.ducting the airflow improves it a lot and at motorway speeds its fine but on the twisty bits the temp creeps up.had a run to mallory park yesterday to watch some classic car races,and some sevens aswell,mine ran ok didnt even spit any water into the catch bottle i thought problem was sorted because i put a 13lb rad cap on.journey back was a different story,it was a hot day anyway but at one point in traffic it reached 120 degrees but it did not boil over nor did it spit any water out but when it does spit it out its gone compleatly non to suck back in.dont know if it was the heat but the speedo was fluttering from 60mph to 90 mph when i know i was doing 70 at about 3000rpm,another prob to sort.anyway got back home, left car on the drive to cool down a bit and couldnt start it due to no petrol,fuel gauge showed just under 1/4 tank when i got back but after cooling down showed empty unless the the last of the petrol evaporated in the heat lol.lucky to get home i suppose.well that was my day yesterday,oh and a mate from work came with me and he loved it,got some good film with his camera.

jess. :D

I was out and about in mine this weekend and never goes above 92deg no matter what i,m doing coleman rad 2 x fans and an 87deg stat.

Dan

hi dan, is your rad mounted flat?was temp ok before you fitted new rad cap?

jess.

no mine is traditional front mounted last year before i tuned it it never spat water this year after tuning it started spitting out done the head gasket which heled but did not stop it changed the cap and it has slowed the spitting down to a level where the bottle does not overflow i,ve now got a 20PSI cap going to try that for a bit and see what happens. your gauge is in deg c?

Dan

Guest scrabster

yes ,gauge is deg c. im thinking of getting an ally rad made but it sounds expensive.richard at gbs recons the orange demo car runs perfect set up flat.but with the mods to my engine it could make a difference to running temp,its getting on my t*ts a bit now.

jess.

yes ,gauge is deg c. im thinking of getting an ally rad made but it sounds expensive.richard at gbs recons the orange demo car runs perfect set up flat.but with the mods to my engine it could make a difference to running temp,its getting on my t*ts a bit now.

jess.

i seem to recall seeing that car and it had a lot of alloy sheet ducting all the air to to the rad and as you say engine tuning adds heat mine gained 30bhp this year and thats where all the probs started for me

seems ok now except the stem seals are going poss due to running engine without a stat at 65 /70 deg also on the dyno runs it got very hot which i think may have done the head gasket again

good luck

Dan

Guest bettinson2005
I was out and about in mine this weekend and never goes above 92deg no matter what i,m doing coleman rad 2 x fans and an 87deg stat.

Dan

hi sorry for jumping in :( but i have a question is it better to run fan all the time :unknw: or not????? cheers carl

Guest scrabster
hi sorry for jumping in :( but i have a question is it better to run fan all the time :unknw: or not????? cheers carl

hi carl,i only run the fan when in traffic if i remember to switch it on, while im sorting the water temp issues at the moment.

jess.

Jess,

as something cheap to try have you considered using some of this:

http://www.racelubricants.co.uk/product.as...35&P_ID=512

I know some F2 stock car boys use it to help theirs Pintos run cooler and it would be a lot easier to try than making big changes to the cooling system

Just seen they're only in Brierley Hill too so it might be worth a trip over there?

by my calculations, if you are reaching 120°C with a 13psi radiator cap, you will be boiling over (boiling point 119°C).

What gauge and sender do you have? It is likely they are not matched.

i don,t like to run the fan all the time, on cooler days it was cooling a bit to much without the engine stat mine is on a thermostat now it kicks in at about 90deg basically in traffic or when thrashing it when driving normally it stays off, but i have an override switch just in case

dan

Guest scrabster
by my calculations, if you are reaching 120°C with a 13psi radiator cap, you will be boiling over (boiling point 119°C).

What gauge and sender do you have? It is likely they are not matched.

hi,all the gauges and senders are new from etb,came as a complete kit.thanks for the reply.

jess.