Dam Exhaust!

Guest webwolfkain

Guest webwolfkain

Help!! got my mod 2ltr pinto in (205 block, big valves, fr32 kent cam and twin 40's) took her to a rolling road for rejetting and tuneing and the dude said only 102bhp!!! but he can get sh*t loads of torqe (how ever you spell it) and said its the exhaust thats killing it!!! its the std manoflod so it 4 into a very long 2 and into 1 (2 into the back box)

has any one else found this?? what kind of exhaust do i need?? where to go for one??? i have a back box for the car and did have the 4 into 1 manofold but put it in before the engine once in it was pushing up against the steering so i couldnt turn at all, in a moment of anger in cut it up because it was the only way it would come back out without takeing the dam engine back out. hope someone can give me a few pointers as its all gone on way to long!!! i just want to drive it now!!!

Dan

Hey Dan,

glad you've got it running at least. A four branch manifold is probably your best bet. What most people seem to do when they fit a four branch is alter the steering shaft and add an extra bearing and joint to go round the exhaust. You will probably also need the longer clutch cable to go around the manifold as the shorter one ends up going through the 1st and 2nd tubes and gets too hot and will eventually seize.

good luck

Hth

was that bhp at the wheels ? my set up is generating 108bhp at the wheels injected head blade carbs bestek ignition and a 4 branch pipe and pulls 5th from 25mph on a 3.92 diff loads of torque there are a lot of exaggerated claims around for power outputs or lots of badly calibrated dynos :D my exhaust is from rh/gbs

Dan

Guest pwlcarz

Hi Dan

If I recall correctly you have the standard Sierra cast iron manifold with a 4 into 2 pipe running to the silencer box (this isn't a real 4 into 2 into 1 as far as I'm aware). I think this is the early original exhaust from GBS/Robin Hood.

As Ryan said, you need the tubular manifold which does go 4 - 2 - 1 to the silencer (or even 4 straight to 1 as per Zetec type from Kitparts Direct). May be easiest to contact GBS but the bad news is you are looking at probably £250+ for a complete set up if not more (unless you can find a 2nd hand one on Ebay).

I can't recall whether mine has the extra joint in the steering as Ryan mentioned. I'll take a look and let you know.

Where did you go for the rolling road? I'm about to book mine in now I've fitted a Pipercross airfilter as it will need re-jetting - any indication of cost?

Regards

Peter

Guest webwolfkain

Hi guys, its 102 bhp it the wheel, mr rolling road dude said theres another 30ish bhp waiting to come out and its really hurting the top end. still really does move tho!!!

Rolling road dude is Dave of mech motorsport in cheltenham 07711896878, dude really knows his stuff.

a nice guy called kev on here says he has a 4 into 1 off his 1.8 pinto, it should work????

Dave at Mech does my mapping. He is good but his rolling road gives very low figures. If you took the car to most other rollers they would tell you 120 bhp. Said mine made 165 flywheel last year. Still pretty quick!

I would take Kev up on his offer. Should fit if it was made for a Robin Hood.

Nigel