Building An Electric Go - Kart

agent_zed

Hi,

people are pretty knowledgeable about most things here so was wondering if anyone knew what the best motor and controller to use to make an electric go kart/scooter. its on the cheapest possible budget so i don't even mind making the controller myself if anyone knows of a website with parts/plans. its only for a bit of fun and tinkering.

so far iam thinking of using a starter motor (as i have one) although ive heard they don't like to run for very long but have huge amounts of power. can't think of where i'd find a cheap big 12/24v motor otherwise.

as for controlling the speed i don't know much. is this any good for what i want

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MY-60A-Brushless-Mot...93%3A2|294%3A50

or is this more like i need

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=581

how many amps am i going to need?

any advice appreciated ^_^

thanks some interesting things on there.

i was looking at motors on ebay and saw that mobility scooters are somewhere around 400w 4A and 24v so iam thinking that i can easily go to 1 - 1.5 kw motor and not exceed 25-30A ?

Hopeing to do this on the ultra cheap and was trying to find a cheap source for a motor.

anyone know how big a motor off a lorry tail lift is? or can you think of another source of cheap motors? from what ive read starters are a little extreme and difficult to control.

thanks

Agni motors are supposed to be one of the best for electric bikes scooters etc

http://www.agnimotors.com/home/index.php?o...e&Itemid=47

Lots of good info on controllers in the FAQ section

I have been looking into building and eBike, or may even convert one of my old ones , not decided as yet as just weighing up the parts needed and what bits i have already got as i seem to remember that i should have a controller somewhere , but where is my biggest problem these days.

Mike

Agni Motors not just one of the best , now The best, First eBike TT winner , thanks to Cedric Lynch the motors inventor and his Indian partners.

I remember well whilst i was an apprentice i pestered my Forman for ages to let me wire up a 3 Phase motors windings that had been laid flat together with its core for display purposes , he refused saying i was stupid, a year or so later someone did just that and the linear motor was born, to say i was really sick is an understatement.

Mike

How comes electric rather than petrol?

i guess iam a little insane like most people on this site :D i like the idea of doing something different. I get too many petrol fumes as it is with the 2b, ride-on lawn mower, petrol push mower and the 2 stroke strimmer so was looking for something cleaner.

Also means i dont have to put any expensive juice in it.

I can leave it ready to go with no engine running. dont have to worry about old fuel, spark plugs carbs etc. or have to pull start the thing everytime i want to use it.

neighbours unlikely to complain as i doubt it will be anywhere near as loud.

and from the videos ive been watching on you tube they seem to kick butt. figures around 3-4 seconds to 40mph was quoted for one of them!!! they certainly seem to accelerate rather rapidly.

Iam only really messing around im not into karting as such, just a bit of bodging for fun :)

thats why im looking at trying to get an old motor from somewhere to keep it cheap and simple.

the control ive found seems to be a good start but i need to find a cheap 24 or 12v motor now as thats all the board will support. hope i can find something off a lorry.

Guest RH CAT 7

i have a 12volt 200w motor complete with a reduction gearbox , it pulls my fat 14stone around, any good?they are cheep, iv sold one or two for the landrover type kids cars you can build.