Phishing?

Longboarder

I don't believe it. I nearly clicked on the link.

Nigel

Dear Customer,

This e-mail has been sent to you by Virgin Media to inform you that we were unable to process your most recent payment of bill. This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address, phone)

2. Submitting incorrect information during bill payment process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your billing information today by clicking here.

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,

Virgin Media

Billing Department

Thanks for your co-operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2009 Virgin Media. All Rights Reserved.Virgin Media

I have deleted the email so don't have the link anymore but it did not lead to virgin media. My bank statements show virgins DD going out as per normal and the phone, internet and telly still work so not genuine I think. Because it was not from a bank or building society it almost didn't ring any alarms and the English and grammar are OK as well.

Nigel

I had the same thing a couple of days ago from Virgin Media , i am a customer of theres but still binned it , i checked my bank statement and there payment had been paid. Halifax one arrived this morning thats in he bin too , i dont have anything to do with them.

If in doubt bin it , as they can always send you a letter if genuine.

Mike

Guest zoomzoom
If the grammer is flawed, they spell your name wrong and all the details are incorrect, then there's a very good chance it's a legit Virgin one :D

:D :D thats true or it could be the dvla in borehamwood (sorry but they are my pet hate now)

Guest peter2b2002

there seems to be a new one about, on the radio this AM, seems you get a phone call from BT? saying there is a fault with your line and to double check they say hang up and try to make a call, but as they put you on hold you won't be able to make a call , so you think that your line is dead , then the scam begins, I missed the first part of the story so I don't know what they were after but beware

peter2b

Guest keith12

Got one from the Natwest on Monday and one from the Halifax today and i don't even have an account with them, As your bank will tell you they will never seek to ask you for any personal data or passwords online so delete them all and if you are concerned phone them direct or call in like the old days.

Peter, the telephone scam was a ploy to get credit card details. Scammers phone saying they are from BT and the bill had not been paid. The phone will be cut of immediately if you don't pay by card there and then. If you question who they are they say they will cut the line to prove it's BT. Reconnection will be £75 plus VAT and you may have to have a new number. They tell you to hang up the phone and try to make a call. They can stop this so they must be BT! You try and yes the phones dead but thats simply because they have not hung up and cleared your line. So you believe them. They ring back in 1 minute having proved their point, you think they cut the phone and must be from BT and pay your bill over the phone using your card. Sometimes they say it's declined and try another card so they scam two card and security numbers from you. Card numbers are used within minutes to buy phone top up cards which are as good as money. One woman gave out three sets of card details. Another suspected a scam and when she'd hung up the phone she phoned her bank immediately to cancel the card but still lost £30.

We are all savvy to emails from Nigeria and from banks and building societies. The Virgin email and the phone scam are about unpaid bills and do not immediately ring the phishing bell. Raise your anxiety levels and distraction with threat of inconvenience (losing your number) and cost to you. Clever!

Tell everyone in the family and your friends.

Nigel

Here is another one that's ready for dusty bin.

Dear Credit Union Australia member,

We are sorry to inform you that your account is temporarily suspended due to

unusual activity that was noticed in the last few days in your account,

you must take action at once, and verify some of your information you have

on file with us.

Not known at this address sorry Digger

Mike