Ground Clearence

Guest mikedbradley

Guest mikedbradley

I've just put a hole in my sump (2b with 1.8 pinto). Has anybody got any ideas how I can raise the ground clearence to stop this happening again? I've got the springs wound up but am a bit stuck (and oily!)

Guest mikedbradley
get a shortened sump. expensive but will give you much more clearance,

Thanks, I have thought of that but money is a bit tight at the moment! any 'buget' solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

You can get a sump shortened for about £100 which is a wise investment if you ask me.

Occassionally you will see one on ebay as well.

Here's one for a 1.8 that may or may not be what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pinto-Engine-1-8-Loc...93%3A1|294%3A50

Bit pricey at 99p though ;)

Guest mikedbradley
Mike

You can get a sump shortened for about £100 which is a wise investment if you ask me.

Occassionally you will see one on ebay as well.

Here's one for a 1.8 that may or may not be what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pinto-Engine-1-8-Loc...93%3A1|294%3A50

Bit pricey at 99p though ;)

Thanks very much,Great price, and a free engine to go with it! unfortunatley it's a bit far away and is collect only, don't think I car run to the parcelforce fee for a complete engine! unless anyone wants the rest of the motor and split the cost?

Are there any suspension mods that might help? I may well get a sump and get my neighbour to weild a welding torch over it... but in the mean time...

Guest vigor

How much clearance have others got as I changed the oil in my 2ltr pinto the other day and slid a tray under measuring exactly two and three quarter inches under my shortened sump...

Guest mikedbradley

got the t-shirt earlier this year a real pain. now is the time to sort it.

woolly

[/qu

I'll do my best, they say there is a long hot summer on the way and I'm new to the RH scene so want to make the most of it!

ote]

why dont you take the sump of and take it to a fabricators or a good welder unless you can do it and cut the bottom of re weld it flat and extended its lenth then a shorter pick up if you have a spare give it a try

Guest robinj66

I too had this problem - shortening the sump is the best long term solution. You can do most of the work yourself - have alook at the link to he NW region or do a google search.

If welding is the problem then there is a place in Cranbrook that builds up kit cars (can't remember the name at the moment)

It's a bit scary making the initial cut into your sump but you have to take the view it's basically scrap at the moment anyway. Bolt it to some thick wood before welding to prevent the mating surfaces from distorting.