Bike Carbs ..nightmare!

Guest MrT

I fitted 4 Louver vents to my bonnet sides some time ago to help get rid of heat from the engine, by assisting the escape and help the through put of warm air from the radiator , the Louver vent infront of the carbs i faced forward to duct freah air straight to the carbs, the back of this vent needed the back end frame grinding off somewhat to allow a more direct air flow to the carbs. Also added some filter mesh to the inside of carb vent.

The vents i used do take up a bit of room on the inside of the bonnet though, approx 25mm which is not ideal in all installations.

They are the 4 Louver marine vents i got from The Pirates Cave in Rochester Kent. They are the same as the ECS ones but with the 4 Louver vents

Mike

Guest trackerjack
yes they must sit at the same angle as when on the bike. else the float levels can never be correct. my GBS manifold is correct for the Kawasaki zx6r carbs.

woolly

HI you are the first person I know who is also using these carbs (38mm) I have them on my 1600 Pinto Hood (my own manifold) and they run well standard but seem a bit rich and much popping and banging on the overrun.

I am about to insert a hot 2 litre 205 inj head Pinto in and does anyone know what mods to the carbs I should make (drill out jets or even smaller) or should I just rolling road it?

I should add that I have run these carbs in place of my 45 Dellorto's on my track prepared Dolly Sprint and they performed much the same as the sidedraughts (at a fraction of the cost).

Guest trackerjack
yes they must sit at the same angle as when on the bike. else the float levels can never be correct. my GBS manifold is correct for the Kawasaki zx6r carbs.

woolly

HI you are the first person I know who is also using these carbs (38mm) I have them on my 1600 Pinto Hood (my own manifold) and they run well standard but seem a bit rich and much popping and banging on the overrun.

I am about to insert a hot 2 litre 205 inj head Pinto in and does anyone know what mods to the carbs I should make (drill out jets or even smaller) or should I just rolling road it?

I should add that I have run these carbs in place of my 45 Dellorto's on my track prepared Dolly Sprint and they performed much the same as the sidedraughts (at a fraction of the cost).

is there any way of running a brake servo on bike carbs or do you have to remove it if you can where does the pipe go i have r1 carbs to be fitted

will bike carbs be ok for the sva on a 2 ltr pinto engine

I have had bike carbs running, maybe 30-40 degrees from the ideal angle for the float bowl..

I think the main problem is having such a tiny main jet.. It really needs to be up in the 1.6-1.75 range.

To sort the angle problem you could always try angled rubber pipe joiners, they come in various angles and might be just right for your needs..

Deff' recheck your main jets. Lifting the needle allows more fuel in midrange+, but it would be better the use a larger main jet and lower the needle back to almost std. Cetrainly works for all my bike carbs Ive used..!

-tk

hi

finally sorted out I hope.......I had aready some side vents in the bonnet for the venting of hot air but as suggested I went up to GBS on Friday and purchased a larger vent

Vents in and turned round did improve the situation slightly but now at 3000 rpm at cruise I developed the same problem.

I decided to ven the cars from the front of the engine front grill, its tight but I did bodge a 4 inch venting pipe from wicks over the rad and sat the other end onto the end of the air filter and I think that this has done the trick!

Just need to look now at a more permanent solution.

thanks for the tips

Paul

MrT run the set up for a while as i did similar and found out latter, much to my surprise that the carbs were affected by cross winds.

i do think though that putting vents in the bonnet will only allow air out not in due to the pressure inside the engine bay. ?