Dipstick Problem

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Hi I have recently fired up my efi pinto and the dipstick has been bent by the crank I suppose ?-- I fitted an RS 2000 sump to the engine and can remember having to "chop" the hole that the pick up went through, the pick up pipe itself was modified also but I hadnt reckoned a problem with the dipstick - I am wondering if the plate across the top of the sump is pushing the stick towards the crank ???

any ideas ??

Steve Hall

Do you need a modified dipstick for an RS2000 sump then? I have this on my engine and i loads of dipsticks lying around my garage from all the donor engines i have stripped.

Thought they all looked the same? I dont want to fit any old one and then have to rip it all apart again.

What sort of length are they? Is the tube modified as well, and what is the best way to keep them in, i know they are usually a push fit but this never works after they have come out once, is it a case of chemical metal or something similar?

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Hi Pid

I have never read anything about needing to change the dipstick when fitting the RS sump - I did all the other mods pick up etc - . The problem with mine is that I thought the guide tube was bent and pushing the tip of the stick in at the wrong angle but if you push the guide tube right into the block it doesnt really matter which way the top is facing because the last 4cms guide the stick at the block end - I have looked at mine for a long time now and I think that the end of the stick is hitting the alloy baffle plate and then it is going of towards the big end and taking a good slap when it comes by !

A good few inches protrude out of the guide tube in to the block so this means no easy soloution - I would turn your engine by hand and hold the stick to see if you can feel any thing rubbing.

I have just got my engine running and I really cant face lifting it out again to alter the baffle plate !!! has any one got any ideas ><><?

What about a really geasey drill bit followed by a parrafin rinse ?? and oil change ???

any ideas would be great

Steve Hall

;) what about over filling the engine with oil then drill then drain,that would catch any swarth and lube your drilling ^_^

just a thought but its up to you,i would take it out again

Steve, just a thought, which end of the engine is your dipstick? I have an RS 2000 engine in mine and the dip stick is at the flywheel end, however I have another block which has it at the front of the engine, there is a cast boss at the front near the dizzy where the tube has been fitted in.

Peter.

Guest FIRSTBUILD

thanks Pete / Rizla my dipstick hole is at the back of the block ,I will see if there is another casting at the front.

I am a long way of finishing the car so I wont rush into any drilling yet but I am still suprised and intrested to think I am the first person to come across this snag ??? - I take it that everyone elses RS sump went staight on??

Steve Hall

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

What about getting a longer dipstick tube and replacing the current one? They come out if you twist it You could get one a little bit longer to take up the gap you currently have :)

If there was a horizontal baffle in the sump, then you will need to drill the baffle for the dipstick to go through it, DON'T alter the length of the dipstick!

The tube that pushes into the engine block, does have a habit of working loose in the casting, what I did was to braze around the end of the tube, then file it down until I could knock the tube into the block.

Steve, do you remember looking at the baffle plate before you fitted the sump. Did you take any photos? I find it hard to believe it has no hole in it for the dipstick. (Surely a pinto block would only have a dipstick at the front if that was where the deepest part of the sump was.) Not much point dipping the shallow end! ;) I think there must be a hole in there somewhere and because your tube was loose the dipstick got missdirected you're missing it. Try prodding around without the tube to see if you can find a hole.

Nigel